Yamaha 200 vs 225, both 2006 fourstrokes

Olde School

Hello, everyone.

I am looking at a boat with a 200HP 2006 Yamaha 4stroke, low hours.
The hull most commonly comes with an inboard v6 at 220 or 225HP. The hull weighs approx 3500lbs.
When it comes with an outboard, the horsepower is usually 225HP.

My guess is the weight drop from the 225I/O to the 200OB will negate the lower power, in terms of hole shot.

I am aware of the exhaust corrosion issues with the Yamahas, and will have the motor inspected for that (among the other usual things).

My question is: can you give me informed knowledge about the real world differences between the Yamaha 200 and 225?
I have read that the 200 is actually 206ish HP and the 225 is 213ish.

Thank you.

Smiley.

Hello, everyone.

I am looking at a boat with a 200HP 2006 Yamaha 4stroke, low hours.
The hull most commonly comes with an inboard v6 at 220 or 225HP. The hull weighs approx 3500lbs.
When it comes with an outboard, the horsepower is usually 225HP.

My guess is the weight drop from the 225I/O to the 200OB will negate the lower power, in terms of hole shot.

I am aware of the exhaust corrosion issues with the Yamahas, and will have the motor inspected for that (among the other usual things).

My question is: can you give me informed knowledge about the real world differences between the Yamaha 200 and 225?
I have read that the 200 is actually 206ish HP and the 225 is 213ish.

Thank you.

Smiley.
All I can comment on is that I think the known corrosion issue was fixed by 2006 so while I would still have things checked the 225 was an excellent motor if that corrosion issue doesn't come into play. I have never heard of it being a problem on a 200 or a 250-just the 225( which I had)

The f225 and f200 are the same engines, only difference is the ecu mapping. Other than that all parts are interchangeable.

I have bought the boat with the 200 and the hole shot is good.
Now....what would be involved in changing the motor to 225 or even 250? All tech data I read indicates the motors are the same - must be relatively minor electronic changes?

usually it requires a new ecu and flywheel. The injectors will have to reprogrammed. A lot of work and money for little extra performance. I would work on prop performance before I did anything else.

beemer

All I can comment on is that I think the known corrosion issue was fixed by 2006 so while I would still have things checked the 225 was an excellent motor if that corrosion issue doesn't come into play. I have never heard of it being a problem on a 200 or a 250-just the 225( which I had)

Smiley if you don't mind I just wanted to ask SF a quick question so sorry if this is at all a hihjack of your thread..... SF just wondering how the F225 pushed your Orca and how many hours you got before re-power ? I assume a bit under powered but what was your cruise rpm and speed with it?

Smiley if you don't mind I just wanted to ask SF a quick question so sorry if this is at all a hihjack of your thread..... SF just wondering how the F225 pushed your Orca and how many hours you got before re-power ? I assume a bit under powered but what was your cruise rpm and speed with it?
It was very underpowered as I carry 4 days of ice and 2 fat friends-While I am svelter-some might argue the description. I cruised it at 4900 and got 26mph. I re-powered at 825 hrs- not because anything was wrong but because I am getting up in years and I was tired pushing this thing and I didn't want to worry about it. Should have had a 300 from the get go-4200 gives me 28-I'm happy. Course 225 was the biggest 4 stroke in 03-so no choice-2 x 150 would have been a better choice I suppose.

Thanks for that - good to hear though that the F225 could handle 12 years and 825 hours of being worked hard pushing that weight at 4900 rpm with no major motor issue. Thats my main reason for asking as you often hear that an overworked ( underpowered) engine won't last being pushed hard and will 'blow' at low hours. I guess it says something for the yami 4 stroke anyway....

Thanks for that - good to hear though that the F225 could handle 12 years and 825 hours of being worked hard pushing that weight at 4900 rpm with no major motor issue. Thats my main reason for asking as you often hear that an overworked ( underpowered) engine won't last being pushed hard and will 'blow' at low hours. I guess it says something for the yami 4 stroke anyway....
It does actually and the numbers I give are for glass water-any ripple and it was up a hundred and of 2 mph. When it was traded it had 150 in 5 cylinders and 140 ish in no 4-nothing showing on the diagnostic. They are a good motor just had that corrosion issue that should have been a recall IMO!

Back