Yamaha 150hp - choose from 2

I've heard some going 10,000+ I think someone said David Murphy has one nearing 12k
and I think I'd go with the F150, I have twin F150's now and love them, they are quieter then my old 9.9 merc 4 stroke when trolling, JMO tho

Last edited by a moderator:
There has been a harmonic balancer problem with the F150's. Apparently its a matter of time before you eventually will hear a high pitched whine - thats the warning to have the problem fixed ( in US apparently the fix is $500-600/motor - more in Canada) My understanding is that if you ignore the warning and don't replace/fix you could have a major failure and huge expense. At 3,000 hours that 2005 F150 for sale likely had the replacement done already.

Read here about the issue that Yamaha has apparently "kept quiet": http://forums.floridasportsman.com/archive/index.php/t-49487.html

LOL ! ok thanks for my first big laugh of the day !!:D

My personal opinion is that buying a used 4-stroke or DI 2-stroke is a risky venture. They're just too damn expensive to fix if they breakdown.

Brand new with warranty absolutely get 4-stroke or DI 2-stroke but if going used I'd go with an older 2-stroke, even a rebuilt one will be cheaper than most used 4-strokes. And if it breaks down it's half the cost to fix or replace parts.

Notice how the 2-stroke in that add sold right away?;)

All the points about 2-stroke simplicity do apply...but so do all the 4-stroke benefits of quiet, smokeless and EFI fuel efficiency.

The F150 checks out fine and I would've bought it myself if I had repowering budget available this year. Yamaha lists new F150's at $16500...so a well used one at $3500obo will be attractive to someone.

Back