XL kicker on 18' ?

Bait&Sea

I have an 18' FGlass with 7' beam, reverse chine hull, euro transom. I am putting a kicker on it and am thinking about an XLong (sailpower) bigfoot 9.9merc. I want to be able to rely on it in heavier seas as a worst case scenario as I plan on crossing the straight more often this spring. It weighs in at all of 130lbs and I'm not sure about the weight annoying me, as well if the kicker will be able to clear the water with it trimmed all the way up. Go for it or think its too big? I guess I could always resell it if need be.

Attachments

• SeaRayForumPic.jpg
    SeaRayForumPic.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 234
25" forsure it's the only way to go. Make sure you are mounted high enough so that when you tilt it up and are motoring your not dragging it. That's really the only thing to worry about in my opinion, when up on step you will be a few inches higher so if the skag is at the waterline at rest should work .

Mounting it on a proper kicker bracket for an integrated swimgrid like yours will probably work fine. I had an XL shaft Honda Mounted on my old Malibu 182 but it was a transom mount next to the main motor. It was a little closer to the water when tilted up but it was designed for an XL shaft and worked well. On my current boat I have a similar swimgrid to yours and have a 9.9 Yamaha HT and have lots of clearance. Keep in mind that my boat probably sits slightly higher out the water at the back and 8'6" beam but it sits flat and not an issue for balancing the load. I think what you want to do will work fine as longs as its not too heavy for that back corner? :cool:

Attachments

• Aug292011 601.jpg
    Aug292011 601.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 222
Last edited by a moderator:
If you have trim tabs, the weight shouldn't be a problem. If you don't have tabs, you might be wanting them.

If you have trim tabs, the weight shouldn't be a problem. If you don't have tabs, you might be wanting them.

Good point bruce.....they will help when travelling for sure. I notice that his swimgrid is the same as mine in that the boarding ladder is on the port side so I'm assumming he will mount the kicker on the starboard side which unfortunately if you fish alone a lot is the same side he will be on. With that beam it be a pain while trolling around all day leaning to one side? Just a thought......

Liking all the feedback, thanks. It will be getting mounted on the port side with ladder removed. Battery system is rear starboard. Got me thinking now I could shim up bracket with star board if it sits to low. Starting to feel better about the xl now.

make sure you remount that ladder on the other side, nice to have that reboarding device when they come a calling for ispection

make sure you remount that ladder on the other side, nice to have that reboarding device when they come a calling for ispection

I was thinking that cause the rear entry of the boat is less than 0.5m from water I would be exempt from having to have it, it would be safer in an emergcency though and one less thing to go over during a check while keeping me from having the rods down. Good call

Swim platform is considered a reboarding device. You don't need the ladder, but can't really hurt to have it if you want it there.

Try it out without the ladder. Go in the water wearing all of your normal fishing attire and try and get back into your boat without the ladder. Make sure you have someone with a really strong back available to help you.

You could always shut off the main and climb right up the outboard too, as far as needing a xl shaft I don't think it is necessary, Long shaft should be plently long im sure, If it is so rough that your long shaft kicker is coming out of the water chances are you wont be fishing much longer anyway. I just put a long shaft kicker on my boat that has a shallow v hull, reason being I hope to upgrade to a deep V hull eventually. plenty of marine dealers on here that could answer better then I, but I suspect the XL shaft kicker is overkill unless you secretly want to buy a sailboat later in life :)

Back