Xantrex 1000w Inverter/Charger at Cdn Tire

TenMile

Hey guys,

If anyone is looking for an excellent deal on a Xantrex Inverter/Charger, Canadian Tire has a wicked price on them right now. They have the Xantrex Freedom HF1000 on sale now for $149 (half price). These units have a 3 stage fully automatic charger that can provide up to 20A of charging, along with a battery maintainer setting.

If connected to shore power, the unit can pass through AC power to power AC appliances. It also has a built in 1000w Inverter which can power small appliances from your house battery system. It provides zero interrupt power in the event of a shore power disconnect/failure. The unit also comes with a system monitor that comes mounted on the device by default, but also comes with a 20' cord to be mounted inside the boat. The monitor allows you to turn the device on/off, and check the battery voltage and charging state, and tells you how much power in watts or amps the inverter is consuming.

Note however, that I did have one of these units fail on me about a month after installing it. Fortunately, I kept my receipt and Canadian Tire exchanged it without a question (I think they will do in-store warranty exchanges for 2 years). The replacement unit is exactly the same, but is now labelled with the Motomaster logo rather than the Xantrex logo on the outside. Note that Westmarine sell the exact same device (right down to the model number) for $349. It's worth it for the intelligent battery charging alone. Just purchased a second one for the family cabin (solar powered lights).

PS: Sale ends on these today -- apparently there is only 1 left in Victoria in all of the stores, so act fast!

Thanks TenMile

Just picked one up. I called ahead and they gave me the sale price even though sale is over.
I find that all the electronics and downrigger loads drain down my house battery while extended trolling. Sometimes to the point of dead battery. I do have a second battery for starting but typically the run back on main engines to dock for the night is not enough to fully recharge. Now I will plug into shore power overnite to have full battery in morning for the next day of fishing.
1000W AC power is a bonus.

Eastpoint

Hey there, so be careful. The one that CDN tire now sells isn't the same unit. Last year mine died -- it was still under warranty so I took it back. THe CDN Tire part number is the same, but the unit is no longer marine rated -- and even physically looks different. The new one is better suited to a truck or RV than boat -- ok if you can install it somewhere completely out of the elements.

To CDN Tire's credit, they gave me a full refund. I couldn't find a device that combined charger/inverter and transfer control switch -- so I ended up getting 3 individual boxes -- a new charger, new standalone inverter, and an AC transfer switch.

Back