WVCI Still Wild!

IronNoggin

Just back in a day or two ago from the last troll opening. More feeder springs around than I have seen in a great many years, but it does appear the last of the large returners are finally sneaking through. Less of them than we encountered the previous few years, so s'pose they made the run early...

Loads and loads of hali's about. Even fishing 5-6 fathoms off the floor, we had them coming 2 to 4 pieces up into the gear. And a very nice average size, seems they've gotten quite fat over the last few weeks.

But, the most interesting was the amount of huge coho present damn near everywhere. As they're a non-retention species, we ended up taking all the top gear off, and running with only 4 or 5 pieces a line. Still hit a few, man, when they're down in the mud, you gotta know they are Thick!! And the OMG SIZE!! Shook several handfulls that easily would have topped 20, as well as quite the showing in the high teens.:D

Thought I was done with the sport rig for the season, until I saw what we saw on that run. Now scheduled for a 3 day run, hali and Monster Coho run. Suspect there's gonna be some Wild Times on the water!! Get out there if you can!!

Cheers,
Nog

Thanks for making me jealous, I have already burned my vacation for the year and can't get out again.

Good luck to you and have fun.

Your news about the feeder springs is the best news I suppose. That keeps the hope alive for a turn-around over the next years to come...

Thats an awesome report, im headinng up to bamfield tuesday night for three days, how far out do you recommend? let hope for a calm midweek

Lance

quote:Originally posted by chris73

Your news about the feeder springs is the best news I suppose.

While The Jury is still out...
This year we witnessed a major turn-around in Ocean conditions, specifically those suited to increasing salmon production. The water was and is colder which results in a big increase in nutrient influx. The bait stacks out there were / are larger than I have seen for several years now, and the feeders are showing it. Very fine shape for this time of year, and growing stronger each and every day with that much groceries around.
So, while the bio-types I know are suggesting a bit of caution, it very much does look like the salmon are in for better days. All in all, a little bit of good news for a change! [^]

quote:Originally posted by silverbullet77

Thats an awesome report, im headinng up to bamfield tuesday night for three days, how far out do you recommend? let hope for a calm midweek

HiYa Lance,

Suggest the following spots:
Peanut just off to the side of the Rat's Nose (aka Big Gully). There were quite a few halibut there.
Steep Edge between the Bottleneck and the Rat's Nose. Feeder springs along the edge, large coho slightly out into the deep.
Inside from the Wreck (80 meter contour) back towards Ukee. Both springs and coho.
The first 2 are ~ 20 miles and change, the third a tad closer. All are safe bets methinks. I'll be off the Steep Edge referred to above in the early am.

Weather for tomorrow, Monday and into Tuesday looks Good To Go thus far. Keep your fingers crossed the trend continues! [8D]

Good Luck & Tight Lines!
Nog

Great to finally hear something that isn't doom and gloom boys. Will agree with the bait...the needlefish balls this year were EVERYWHERE and HUGE!!! It was crazy...good for those small chovys Great year overall...met a lot of great guys off the forum and look forward to meeting more next year! Best Wishes guys!

www.serengetifishingcharters.com

Heading up Sunday night for a couple days of fishing. Weather looks good, probly the last trip of the year, Can't wait to get into thoose JUMBO HO's and Hali's. I took a 20+ earlier in Aug. I bet there even fatter now :D

Fished the Big Bank Sept 8 with 2 boats for 4 hours, kept 9 hali's (released 3 smaller ones), 8 springs, 1 ling and only 1 hatchery coho. At least half the Hali's were caught at 140 ft where the bottom was 190.

Back