WTH Kind of Fish is This?

Dogbreath

Caught in SE Alaska-not by me-your thoughts?

381523d1349057196t-fish-id-dscn0196.jpg

381524d1349057196t-fish-id-dscn0197.jpg

Hi Carl, I really should be out fishing but just had to get some sleep last night !

Its way more difficult to ID a fish by only a photo and neither photo shows the Caudal fin very well ..... Right away, rule out Chum,Sockeye and Pink. It doesn't look like a Steelhead ( and I have little experience with Steelhead ) so the only thing left is Coho Jack or Jack Chinook.

The bottom photo's heavy dorsal spotting pattern does look a bit jack spring'ish and the Caudal is just too hard to see, but that would give it away if seen in person. White gums and mouth with large eye size look Coho. What little I can see of the Caudal fin it looks to have spots only on the top portion and little or no spots on bottom portion which is indicative of Coho. The Caudal looks like it may be somewhat forked with thin wrist. The white tip on Anal fin is very pronounced however I have seen jack springs with this as well.

Not seeing it in person, I'd say Coho Jack...especially the top photo (late season Jack Springs can have much lighter gums so can be tough to tell at fiirst, especially if you can't see the caudal fin to back up the ID process)

looks like white gums, which says coho but I'd say jack spring from the spotting

Or It is possible Chinook cross with Coho. What I read some of article about the chinook and coho might be a cross bred.

I do not know why but I keep thinking it looks like an atlantic cross.

.... Or a coho/spring hybrid..

Or It is possible Chinook cross with Coho. What I read some of article about the chinook and coho might be a cross bred.

Didn't see that till after I posted...

Back