WTF port alberni canal

B

bacon

I just want to say thanks to whoever left the hundred foot fishing net half sunk/floating at holm island, from last weeks FN opening, it had the Initials HL on some of the floats. I stopped to do my good deed for the day ,and pulled it from the canal, thinking I could do my part and stop it from killing more sea life. I counted four dead chinook, fifteen dead coho and eight dungys tangled in the mess. I'm just happy that there wasn't a dolphin or a killer whale caught in it. You can pick your net up from the dock at clutesi haven marina, where I strung it with all the fish hanging from it, just so everyone can see just how YOU FISH;)

take pics!!! post them everywhere and see if the paper wants them.

No place I would rather be (FISH ON)

That's terrible. I hope there is a good explanation. You never know, maybe the owner will turn up floating... somehow I doubt it though...

I never got any pics but im sure its still sitting on the dock where i hung it with the fish in it[xx(]

That is just brutal :(

Nets should be banned for all user groups!

Bring back the trollers and quality fish

It would be nice to live in a world where you could call DFO and the persons or band would have been delt with accordingly

Was this net free flowing from up river? GOt loose somehow?

you did a good job as an intention to pull out something strange or to stop the illegal activity as DFO isn't aware about this situation or else, more fish, birds, and forestry boats' propellors would get stuck in the ghost net.

thanks fishspoon, no nogin i didn't report it, there is no point:(

Actually in this instance there is a point.
Abandoning a net and leaving it to ghost fish is very much contrary to the law, regardless of what sector you belong to.
Given that the floats were marked, finding the owner would not have been overly onerous on DFO nor the FN Fisheries part.

While I well understand your frustration with the general lack of response., methinks this one would have captured some attention. Now, with the net removed from the site where the infraction occurred, there is nada they can do.

Not trying to rag on you over this, just suggesting The Call might be worth it to anyone else encountering the same...

Cheers,
Nog

HEY NOG,,,woulda ,coulda,shoulda it appears to me that your posts are sounding like your some kind of superior fish guru,,,how about you keep your criticing to your self and let us normal guys do what we do all be it legal, just feeling the frustration doesnt help your attitude attached to every little thing we do or forget to do acording to the great NOG!

Hootey,
I am guessing that your reading skills are about as good as your spelling skills. Maybe you should slowly re-read the previous post

Take it easy Hootey it is just a little constructive criticism.We are always learning and when we know it all we are dead.I have always looked at criticism as a way of learning. You will find life a very hard journey unless you accept some guidance at one time or another. Nog is well meaning and it doesn't hurt to pay attention to someone who has experience.

IMG_1445.jpg

There's been a lot of useful comments, but I'd like to return to Mr. Bacon's original deed and recognize a deed well done, period.

I guess i could have left it and reported it to fisheries but who knows where it would have ended up by the the time they got to it. I was more afraid of the damage it could do in the mean time.

yah i agree bacon, probably would have yanked it out myself with being frustrated and fear of the further damage it would have caused. ALthough retrospect is always 20/20 eh? anyways... good on ya!

go canucks!

Back