WTF!!!! HST TV commercials.

MILLERTIME

Just love watching my tax dollars at work promoting the HST on TV.
Taxes are inevitable but I for one will vote to scrap the HST because of the way they introduced it.
These commercials simply say that the Liberals and the powers that be still don't get it!!!
Time to give the MF'rs a wake up call!!!! :mad:

Hey, at least they're using animated stick figures. They could have hired some high dollar Canadian actors and had the special effects of everyone bending over while smiling done by Dream Works. This must be the new conservative fiscal responsibility we all heard about at election time.

Hey, at least they're using animated stick figures. They could have hired some high dollar Canadian actors and had the special effects of everyone bending over while smiling done by Dream Works. This must be the new conservative fiscal responsibility we all heard about at election time.

No....... the ones I'm referring to are running on the National News Channels with live shepple.
Must cost quite a bit.

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Vote no because of the way it was introduced? I also agree it was shady and poorly executed the way it was introduced but it's time to get past that and look at the upside.

Last edited by a moderator:
Vote NO because we don't need more taxes! We need these elected idiots to stop wasting OUR money.
It now costs 7% more to go to a restaurant, 7% more on your kids clothes, 7% more on the labour to fix your boat. I am friggin tired of it all.

Vote NO because we don't need more taxes! We need these elected idiots to stop wasting OUR money.
It now costs 7% more to go to a restaurant, 7% more on your kids clothes, 7% more on the labour to fix your boat. I am friggin tired of it all.

You may want to check where you are shopping as that is entirely untrue unless your kids are 6'7".....and that also includes diapers.

Children's "sized" clothing is only taxable at 5%.

I am happy about the feminine hygeine too:p.......it's bad enough I have to deal with it.....a tax break is appreciated!!! (mental note....be sure to log out when I leave my computer so my GF doesn't read this)

B.C. Negotiated Rebates

As part of the HST negotiations, the federal government agreed to administer certain rebates for B.C. Some of these are point-of-sale or “instant” rebates, which are like PST exemptions, and some you need to apply for.

Under the harmonization agreement, B.C. is able to provide a limited number of provincial point-of-sale rebates. Consumers only pay 5 per cent HST (the federal part) on point-of-sale rebate items. There is no provincial HST on:
  • Motor Fuels
  • Books
  • Child-Sized Clothing and Footwear
  • Children’s Car Seats and Car Booster Seats
  • Children’s Diapers
  • Feminine Hygiene Products

If you vote no it is only going to cost us much more to go back to the old system ,which is a hassle and costly, only to have it reintroduced 1 or 2 years later at more expense.

I believe all taxes should be "buried" in the price like in Australia. (and gas in canada) whatever the price says is what you pay at the cash register. Merchants build in the pricew and remit. Ignorance is bliss!

beemer

I believe all taxes should be "buried" in the price like in Australia. (and gas in canada) whatever the price says is what you pay at the cash register. Merchants build in the pricew and remit. Ignorance is bliss!

beemer

LOVED that in Australia!!!

You may want to check where you are shopping as that is entirely untrue unless your kids are 6'7".....and that also includes diapers.

Children's "sized" clothing is only taxable at 5%.

Pippen, I don't have kids but my friends daughter is 10 and takes size 8 shoes, no tax rebate on those!

I don't mind the HST concept and appreciate the reduction in time spent remitting only one tax instead of 2. I do have major issues with a couple of points. The one that effects me the most is the exemption for those who say they don't make $30,000 per year so don't charge or collect the tax. That creates unfair competition and in fact gives a 12% advantage to those individuals, gratis of the government. A product should either be taxable or not, who you buy it from should not enter the equation at all. The other problem I have is that there are many previously PST exempt products that now are not. Things like bikes for example. Why would you discourage the purchase of bikes which reduce ones carbon foot print and would reduce road maintenance cost if more road bikes and left cars in the driveway.

Voting on emotion will never get you what you want, so voting because of the way it was brought in will never allow you to see the up side.

Yes it sucks on how Mr Campbell shoved down out throats, but if you forget about that and look at the upsides, you can see that is a positive to BC. The biggest for me is that we will need the $$$ for health care(especially to look after the aging population that is on this site.....;)), education and others. If they do not get it from the HST, then they will get it from us another way, mostly in income tax. The HST is paid by ALL consumers, even those who come to visit from east of the Rockies, so everyone pay their share. If the HST is scrapped, then the middle class, working people of this province will pay for it through increased income tax, BS carbon tax etc. and they will just slowly add the 7% to the items over time anyways.

I have always wondered why people have screamed about this tax, yet we all rolled over about the carbon tax, which hurts me way more, as I love to fish, hunt, quad and have no alternative options for transits to go to work or shop.

If I have to vote a tax out, it would be the BS Carbon tax.

Cheers

SS

Amen Sitka!!!
sHa_clap2.gif

Voting on emotion will never get you what you want, so voting because of the way it was brought in will never allow you to see the up side.

Yes it sucks on how Mr Campbell shoved down out throats, but if you forget about that and look at the upsides, you can see that is a positive to BC. The biggest for me is that we will need the $$$ for health care(especially to look after the aging population that is on this site.....;)), education and others. If they do not get it from the HST, then they will get it from us another way, mostly in income tax. The HST is paid by ALL consumers, even those who come to visit from east of the Rockies, so everyone pay their share. If the HST is scrapped, then the middle class, working people of this province will pay for it through increased income tax, BS carbon tax etc. and they will just slowly add the 7% to the items over time anyways.

I have always wondered why people have screamed about this tax, yet we all rolled over about the carbon tax, which hurts me way more, as I love to fish, hunt, quad and have no alternative options for transits to go to work or shop.

If I have to vote a tax out, it would be the BS Carbon tax.

Cheers

SS
And why should the ones that come from East of the Rockies pay for your fugging health care?
Too bad the tourists from east couldn't just quit going there, see how the tourist/guide sector would make out!! A-hole!!

And why should the ones that come from East of the Rockies pay for your fugging health care?
Too bad the tourists from east couldn't just quit going there, see how the tourist/guide sector would make out!! A-hole!!

Wow............must be why the maritimers have the highest tax rates in Canada...to keep the "westerners" out.

Canadian Taxes.....keeping tourists in the middle and away from our coastlines. :rolleyes: ;)

Couldn't agree with you more Sitka - well said!

WOW, such strong words over the itnerweb.....:)

Come on, how is this HST really going to affect a tourist here in BC anyways????? Hell BC ferries is affecting the tourist trade way more, but I don't hear the tourists ( like yourself????) complaining about that...or the hotel tax that varies by community or region:confused:

If they do not like the tax, then stay away and fish your Saskatchewan Salmon, your pickerel and your perch....pretty easy eh?????

And for the record, I do not own a business but I do guide for hunters in the fall who really do not care about the extra 7% as they want to do something they love and if it supports me saying alive a little longer to take them hunting, then so be it...:D;)

Cheers

SS

If they do not like the tax, then stay away and fish your Saskatchewan Salmon, your pickerel and your perch....pretty easy eh?????

why, you figure the Pacific fish belong to only you?
And I bet my B.C, birth certificate and Sin are older than yours!
Yup, the ferries and Hotel taxes pretty much suck also.

"WOW, such strong words over the itnerweb....."
Nothing I wouldn't say face to face.

HST is fair

I work in tax and have worked both sides. I have helped develop tax programs and I have worked for CA firms charging rich clients to work loopholes and barndoor size legislation to keep them paying little to no tax. This included rich commercial fishermen, farmers, doctors, real estate agents, and professional athletes. Most companies and most rich people pay very little tax. Many people making less, say FU and work for cash to avoid the income tax burden. The reason most civilized coutries have already switched to a Value Added Tax (HAT)/HST types consumption tax is because it makes people who consume the most pay the most. Simple. Lower the income tax, and raise the consumption tax. It works. Everone was dodging income tax, especially those from countries with a culturally accepted tradition of dodging the tax man. This will tax the meth dealers, dope growers, doctors, tax lawyers, trust fund kids, porsche driving plumbers, rug salesmen, and rice bowl chow mein restaurants equally. Welcome to a fair tax. If we don't support this, the crack dealers and tax lawyers will always win, making the average joe pay for his roads, hospitals, and schools. End of story. Think about that before you vote. If you shut the HST down, they will just raise your income tax again and add more user fees.

Back