Wtb remote kicker steering for 9.9 yamaha.

mikeyman

Looking for remote steering for 9.9 yamaha. Help reduce the arguments on steering the damn boat. Even open to autopilot system. Half the battle is putting the lines down and gear fishing right. Stubborn family (Dad. tuff to teach old dog new tricks) equals no good tack. We all know how important driving can be to increase hookups.

I've got an Eze-steer. Parts for an I/O drive Mercruiser and Yami outboard. Not using it..

U might need a different mounting bracket for an evinrude. I had to order my bracket for an etec. Or u could make your own if able to weld.
How do they work when you tilt the kicker out of the water?

I disconnect when my kicker is up and I am running. I connect when i get out there. They are quick disconect couplings from air fittings. It can be tricky to connect if ruff out. You can put a float on it incase u drop it. Or i made a safety line i clip to my kicker with old downrigger cable.

I disconnect when my kicker is up and I am running. I connect when i get out there. They are quick disconect couplings from air fittings. It can be tricky to connect if ruff out. You can put a float on it incase u drop it. Or i made a safety line i clip to my kicker with old downrigger cable.
Aaaaah I see. So what's something like that worth?

Iam running the garmin tr1 autopilot on my 9.9 Yamaha. We have two cordless fobs If it’s set up right it works great. Great if your running solo. The fobs have throttle up and down. And steering. It is pricey but worth it.

stay away from ez steer if you can. i know it’s just my opinion but they are a disaster. i bought my ez steer and set all the “ detentes “ up per spec; they kept pulling apart at the most inoportune time; i almost lost the steering arm once; i just feel it’s a crap product. my last two boats have had steering arms inboard; waaaaay safer than leaning way over over the stern usually in rough seas. bit of a de-rail on OP sorry.

^^^ What RiverBoy said X 2.

I have a power Tran python with two wireless remote controllers. Very responsive and allows two people to control the boat. I highly recommend.

Re EZ Steer. To prevent the two rods from being overextended and falling out EZ Steer sells a rubber band that is a bit expensive. I bought a $5 rubber bungee and a few stainless clamps from Canadian Tire and it has worked perfectly for past 3 years. I found it best to mount the kicker bracket upside down and biased towards the main motor rather than in centre of leg. Also have an orange pool noodle in case it ever fell off. I attach it beforehand and leave it on. No problem with kicker or main up or down or both up etc. Anyway that's my experience FWIW.

I also have used an ezsteer for the past 3 seasons, I do have the band on mine to keep it from coming apart.
I had to adjust the dentynes once as it was slipping at times.
Ezsteer seems to be built in a way to break the pin with the air fitting off before it would do any serious damage to your outdrive and or kicker if it were to bind up.
My setup was from merc I/o to my yam kicker so this bar stayed on at all times.
All in all its been a great product while I source everything I needed for a stand alone autopilot.

Back