Wtb hydraulic steering helm

mikeyman

First time out in boat. Helm is leaking. Looking to replace. Seastar teleflex.

Mike
778 552 5246

Last edited:
You may not need a new Helm. When my Seastar helm was leaking all it needed was a new outer seal which we changed ourselves.
You may want to look into it a little further unless you have already done so and determined it is a write off. Helms are pricey, seals are cheap.

Last edited:
I am worried there is some play in the steering...not sure if due to the leak or if it is wear on the helm internal parts..

If it is leaking you need to fix it if possible. If it is leaking from the shaft area below the steering wheel that will most likely be the outer seal. If it is leaking from the back I would check the hydraulic fittings/hose connections. If it is down on fluid or has air in the line that will cause it to feel lose/sloppy/delayed/have play etc. If it were mine I would buy some Seastar fluid and assuming this is a single station system or is the highest helm in a multi-helm system top up the fluid and then crank the wheel from side to side all the way a a few times and see if it feels better. If there is air in the hoses you may need to bleed them like car brakes but I have found that sometimes the fill and turn method works if the internal reservoir has not gone down too much. I guess it is possible the helm could just be worn out but both mine are still strong after about 12 years of heavy use, they seem to be rather robust systems.

Last edited:
If it is leaking you need to fix it if possible. If it is leaking from the shaft area below the steering wheel that will most likely be the outer seal. If it is leaking from the back I would check the hydraulic fittings/hose connections. If it is down on fluid or has air in the line that will cause it to feel lose/sloppy/delayed/have play etc. If it were mine I would buy some Seastar fluid and assuming this is a single station system or is the highest helm in a multi-helm system top up the fluid and then crank the wheel from side to side all the way a a few times and see if it feels better. If there is air in the hoses you may need to bleed them like car brakes but I have found that sometimes the fill and turn method works if the internal reservoir has not gone down too much. I guess it is possible the helm could just be worn out but both mine are still strong after about 12 years of heavy use, they seem to be rather robust systems.
Highly unlikely to be worn out. Great advice from Rockfish...start here as you won't like the price of a new or used pump too much.

Back