FlyBridge FOUND ** for Hourston 23'

Hey BCI, I am not assuming, you are assuming I am assuming, LOL.

Anyways I have talked to the seller and it's a confirmed 130hp, so the math changes, with max speed 18-20 knots (20-23mph), plus diesel motor's are heavy (motor and leg over 1000lbs) Motor is a AD31A (130hp), the other model available in its class was the AD31P (150HP) both turbo-charged.

Believe me I have seriously considered this vessel but I do not see the value in the diesel, please have a look at this link with a comparison of outboard gas to inboard diesel, its surprisingly interesting to say the least, this may change your thinking :confused:

https://www.boatingmag.com/outboard-vs-inboard/

Last edited:
200lb flybridge, ladder 40lbs, chairs, 50 lbs, steering/hydraulics/controls ?, second plotter 10 lbs, add canvas and whatever else. Yes, that number and all these are pulled out of somewhere down south. It is always amazing how heavy 2 footitis is and how much boats really weight.

@BCI nice summary. Even with the age of the hull that looks like a great deal.

Hey BCI, I am not assuming, you are assuming I am assuming, LOL.

Anyways I have talked to the seller and it's a confirmed 130hp, so the math changes, with max speed 18-20 knots (20-23mph), plus diesel motor's are heavy (motor and leg over 1000lbs) Motor is a AD31A (130hp), the other model available in its class was the AD31P (150HP) both turbo-charged.

Believe me I have seriously considered this vessel but I do not see the value in the diesel, please have a look at this link with a comparison of outboard gas to inboard diesel, its surprisingly interesting to say the least, this may change your thinking :confused:

https://www.boatingmag.com/outboard-vs-inboard/

Hi Robert,

You cannot use that boatingmag comparison because that is comparing outboards against a straight diesel INBOARD. Totally different beast than an inboard/outboard and its performance.

Having said that, 130hp is not enough, as you had stated. For some reason I had thought you had said 170hp, which would have been enough.

Hi Robert,

You cannot use that boatingmag comparison because that is comparing outboards against a straight diesel INBOARD. Totally different beast than an inboard/outboard and its performance.

Having said that, 130hp is not enough, as you had stated. For some reason I had thought you had said 170hp, which would have been enough.

No prob, as I say it's good to have differences :D, I'm here to learn and enjoy the wealth of knowledge and experiences of others... If it were 170HP I would have probably purchased it.

Hi Robert,

Hey BCI, with performance set aside the maintenance and initial costs were what surprised me...

No prob, as I say it's good to have differences :D, I'm here to learn and enjoy the wealth of knowledge and experiences of others... If it were 170HP I would have probably purchased it.

I see the Judge Yachts boating magazine article has caused some confusion on diesel versus gasoline efficiency, but the inefficiency comes from the straight shaft / v-drive shaft system used in Judge's design.

In the interest in explaining the difference between straight shaft or v drive diesel efficiency and speed vs. inboard outboard, I post for you here two real world tests, in the same local waters, on the same hull design, in the same dimensions length and beam, and same displacement. One with twin outboards, and one with diesel inboard outboard single. Apples to Apples.

Note the similar performance in cruising speeds, contrary to what you would see with a straight shaft or v-drive inboard like the boating magazine test on the Judge boats. Note the 69 litres of diesel per hour at 25-26 knots vs. the 108 litres per hour for the twin outboard gasoline boat.

For math, with diesel at $1.30 per litre, and mid grade ocean gasoline at approx $1.60, the diesel boat at same cruising speed costs $89.70 per hour in fuel, while the gasoline boat costs $172.80 per hour. Over a season of 150 hours, the diesel boat costs $13,455 in fuel vs. the gasoline boat costing $25,920.00. A difference of $12,455 in fuel costs. Assume you blow up your outdrive every 1000 hours, you will spend $18,000 on a new outdrive, but you'll be $83,033.00 in fuel savings before that bill comes.

Screen Shot 2019-08-17 at 8.05.48 AM.jpg Screen Shot 2019-08-17 at 8.06.07 AM.jpg

Hey BCI, with performance set aside the maintenance and initial costs were what surprised me...

Yes diesel costs more to purchase and to maintain. General maintenance issues for one diesel is about the same price as twin outboards.... where it gets bad if when you have to replace any fuel pumps, injectors, after coolers, etc on the diesels.

You just need to look at how many hours you plan to use the boat each year and do the math between the two to see if it makes sense or not in each specific application.

Full disclosure: I own a twin gasoline outboard boat, and a single diesel inboard-outboard boat. I have no dog in the fight for either configuration. Just want to ensure the actual facts are out there for outboards and diesel I/O.

Last edited:
All I want is an abandoned flybridge... :confused: what did I start???? :oops:

hahahaha :) :) :)

Good call - and now back to our regular programming -- who has a flybridge for this man?

Really really "like" this ! :D

All I want is an abandoned flybridge... :confused: what did I start???? :oops:
I thought you already found your dream Boat in that other thread you started? There won't be any thing left of the railings and stanchions on a boat that old and I'm sure the guys that took them off were relieved the dump took it, I know I was. Price adds up quick for new stuff.

sold my Hourston 26 sport fish last year ,had it 22 years , best boat I have ever owned but the last thing I would have ever wanted on it was flybridge .the beam on the 26 is even to narrow for it and the hull is fairly deep makes it a little tippy for my liken....just my 2 cents worth

sold my Hourston 26 sport fish last year ,had it 22 years , best boat I have ever owned but the last thing I would have ever wanted on it was flybridge .the beam on the 26 is even to narrow for it and the hull is fairly deep makes it a little tippy for my liken....just my 2 cents worth

i’ve been observing this thread from afar with limited interest and it appears no matter what argument or logic or data you present ; his mind is made up. he wants a 23’ Hourston with a fly bridge that he can somehow tow with a half ton.

Last edited:
Well I guess he didn't ask for advice on this thread however he did on previous threads. You don't want opinions or advice don't ask.

i’ve been observing this thread from afar with limited interest and it appears no matter what argument or logic or data you present ; his mind is made up. he wants a 23’ Hourston with a fly bridge that he can somehow tow with a half ton.
both rides should be scary, towing and the flybridge

both rides should be scary, towing and the flybridge
Not to mention you'd look just plain odd driving from up there. The proportions are way off. Even on the 26 Commander it looks silly when there's three people sitting up there. On my 30 it's cool to drive up top on dead flat days but eventually someone's wake makes you have to hang on for dear life. I love sitting up there and having a beer and enjoying the view when we're docked but even at anchor in a busy area it's just not comfortable. And that's with a 12' beam and being 15000 lbs. Get your wife a nice lounge chair to enjoy up there when you're not under way and get where you're going from down below out of the sun, rain, wind and sway.

On a 23 it will roll like a barrel up there. I say send her up. After about 15 mins up there the command bridge will be removed...lol.

You know what, you may in fact be absolutely correct but regardless have to try, this will be used on the Shuswaps as well ;) just a place to lounge and relax while stationary...

Just though if someone was discarding one, I would get it just to see, better to have than not have and always wonder.

Last edited:
Back