WTB Avet HX 4.2 Red

ziggy

As in the title looking to buy a red Avet HX 4.2 in red

That'll be hard to find especially in red used, only a handful on BD's the past year. $290US on Avet's site though.

Why do you need a red one?
I don’t really, I bought a green one though so thought I’d go port and starboard, so now looking for a red one to complete the set.

You mean like purp and starboard lol. No think I’ll go traditional red, but thanks for the link.

Do they not sell them anymore or you just looking used first
Looking used first, but if not will buy new. They were on sale in the US over Boxing Day, but the shipping and duty was pretty steep. Not sure why with having Free Trade with the US we get boned for Duty on US products.

Looking used first, but if not will buy new. They were on sale in the US over Boxing Day, but the shipping and duty was pretty steep. Not sure why with having Free Trade with the US we get boned for Duty on US products.
I got mine from trotac might be worth talking to them

Get it sent USPS and you may get around the duty

I got mine from trotac might be worth talking to them
Yeah that will probably be my backup if no one local is selling a good used one. I’ve had good luck with them in the past.

the S is a little smaller than the H , do most use the S ?? or go with the H for a little more line capacity

S is the smallest of the line up. I have MXL’s which are in between the S and H. They handle anything so far and even a few larger halibut. The J is the Same size as the H as well just a narrower spool for jigging rods and better balance. Great reels imo....

Not sure where you’ve looked stateside (should it come to that) but I highly recommend Charkbait.com outta SoCal - best Avet prices I’ve found and they spool up your Avet w/ braid free of charge. I’ve bought sets of SX’s and JX’s from them and everything arrived as ordered and ready to fish. Having said that, with a 30% hit due to the exchange, may be better to buy local.

One thing for Avets, and likely all lever drag style conventional reels, make sure to back the drag lever all the way off before tightening/loosening the drag knob (as you may or may not know the lever adjusts from no drag/freespool to full drag within the drag range you set with the drag knob). I set my drag such that a bit of line will give at what I estimate to be 60-65% of the breaking strength of my braid when the lever is in the “STRIKE” position (50lb braid on my SX’s, 65lb braid on my JX’s), personal preference but works for me. Also, most have the lever drag in the “STRIKE” position 90+% of the time while fishing (exception being tuna guys live lining bait) but it’s a good idea to back it off (but not so much it freespools) before storing for any length of time. Takes pressure off the drag discs and extends their life and performance.

With regard to USPS shipping, used to be I’d never get charged duty on my tackle or fly tying stuff ordered from the states if shipped USPS but, ever since Trump started his trade wars I’ve been charged duty on every USPS shipment since!

Good luck, Avet reels won’t disappoint.

Cheers!

Ukee

Thanks for the input guys I picked up a new HX4.2 from Trotac. They were as always great to deal with. I wanted the HX4.2 simply because I find the 4.2 gear ratio makes hauling up gear fro 300’ more manageable. Especially during the summer dogfish swarmings.

If I buy stuff from the US I use in/out parcels no duty fees or shipping costs. It’s located in Points Robert’s and gas is cheaper there too! If you travel lots on the ferry or plan ahead your order for a trip to Vancouver.

https://inoutparcel.com/

If I buy stuff from the US I use in/out parcels no duty fees or shipping costs. It’s located in Points Robert’s and gas is cheaper there too! If you travel lots on the ferry or plan ahead your order for a trip to Vancouver.

https://inoutparcel.com/

Certainly you can save on shipping costs when shipping within USA locations to a freight/ storage company at the border such as the one you mention in Pt Roberts Wa. You are still in the USA though at your pick up location so that is different than if (or when) those goods came across a border. I may be misunderstanding your post .... If you had a multi-day trip in USA then crossed into Canada with the items then perhaps you could avoid those fees due to allowances provided for muti-day trips in US.

Switching gears ( no pun intended ) do the Avet owners/users on this thread feel that the 2 speed is needed? Cost goes up alot so thinking not necessary for Hali and Ling . As I understand once you get into 50lb+ braid, fishing deep or big game/tuna fishing that 2 speed is needed but otherwise single speed is fine? Also should I be concerned about Avet's issues with bearings or is that been solved now?
Thanks.

Back