WTB #7 Fly Combo

chris73

Anyone have a decent but reasonable used fly set for sale? Son wants to try the art and put it on his Santa wish list. But I don't want to shell out a fortune in case he doesn't catch on. I am thinking a #7 or maybe #6, decent reel (right cranking as he is a lefty) with matching WF-F line, 9-10' rod. In Victoria. Please let me know. Cheers!

Don’t have anything for sale but, for a newbie, I’d suggest starting w/ a 5-wt or maybe a 6-wt tops. Lines are heavier now than they’ve ever been (to load the typical fast action graphite fly rods of today) which makes a 7-wt or heavier single hand rod less than enjoyable to cast after a couple hours. Also, as a new fly fisher he is unlikely to be chasing steelhead on big rivers or beach casting for salmon, a lighter rod is a better match for lakes w/ stocked trout or small streams w/ gullible cutts.

Another suggestion is to check out the Echo Base combo outfit online. You should be able to find it for around $200 cdn, and it includes the rod, matching reel w/ fly line, leader and comes in a case. Tim Rajeff, who founded Echo Flyfishing, is a rock star in the fly casting and fly rod development world who set out to develop top performing gear at reasonable prices. The Base rod and reel is their entry level gear but the Base rod and reel get very good reviews.

Another option is Cabela’s, some of their combos get half-decent reviews and most are on sale for Black Friday/Cyber Monday. I see one comes w/ the whole “kit and caboodle” - rod, reel, line, case, pliers, fly box, etc for well under $200.

Cheers!

Ukee

Back