WTB $300 000 Boat for $100 000. Serious offers only please.

https://parksvilleboathouse.com/used-boats-for-sale/2012-striper-2901-alaska-top/

20180830_232015093_ios-1500x700.jpg

I would be curious to hear what owners think also, love the layouts and styles but I recall things feeling flimsy when I checked them out at boatshow once

I agree that they have flimsy feel after being on them at boat shows. I remember my first thought being that you could really feel the hatches on the deck flexing when you walked around, and that nothing felt solid when it came to the finishings. Night and day difference when you compare one to a Grady, Whaler, Pursuit, Ocean Sport, etc.

Have a friend who had a Cutwater for a year or two. He said while it was good at a lot of things, it wasn't great at anything. Biggest dislike for him was the ride - a fairly flat/round bottom makes them "corky" and uncomfortable when you get above a small chop. Great boat for cruising in good weather and doing a bit of fishing on the side, but not so great if you want a boat to be out chasing fish regardless of the conditions. I haven't been on one, but my impression is that Commander makes a much more solid boat that does a better job of combining cruising and fishing.

Welcome to the sysphean task of trying to find the perfect boat! I'd recommend taking your wife to a boat show or two to walk around as many different boats as possible to find out what are your must haves and where you are willing to compromise. Also have a realistic think about how much you are going to be using it for cruising/overnighting vs fishing (and what kind of fishing) and anything else you want to do with your boat - water skiing, beach combing, fireworks, etc - and get something geared to the balance you'll be using it for.

Last edited:
I agree that they have flimsy feel after being on them at boat shows. I remember my first thought being that you could really feel the hatches on the deck flexing when you walked around, and that nothing felt solid when it came to the finishings. Night and day difference when you compare one to a Grady, Whaler, Pursuit, Ocean Sport, etc.

Have a friend who had a Cutwater for a year or two. He said while it was good at a lot of things, it wasn't not great at anything. Biggest dislike for him was the ride - a fairly flat/round bottom makes them "corky" and uncomfortable when you get above a small chop. Great boat for cruising in good weather and doing a bit of fishing on the side, but not so great if you want a boat to be out chasing fish regardless of the conditions. I haven't been on one, but my impression is that Commander makes a much more solid boat that does a better job of combining cruising and fishing.

Welcome to the sysphean task of trying to find the perfect boat! I'd recommend taking your wife to a boat show or two to walk around as many different boats as possible to find out what are your must haves and where you are willing to compromise. Also have a realistic think about how much you are going to be using it for cruising/overnighting vs fishing (and what kind of fishing) and anything else you want to do with your boat - water skiing, beach combing, fireworks, etc - and get something geared to the balance you'll be using it for.
We've had three seasons on the bayliner 245. We do everything on it including fishing in **** weather. It works but we both agreed that we'd like to be more comfortable while vacationing on it. Want to comfortably do 4-5 nights without having to re-stock. I cross to Thrasher a dozen times or more in the spring. During the summer we're even down at the marina cooking dinner and entertaining a few nights a week. We want to be able to do that on a rainy night and not feel like we're in a cave. I've been fishing on 20 sq ft and hammering them, I'm pretty amazing. 50, 60, 70 square feet would be an amazing difference.

I should add we got engaged and married on the boat as well. We are fully boat people.

Hard to find but you would never be disappointed with a Pursuit although that doesn't give you the upper galley/family room that you want.Next best is a 27 Seasport,but then your probably looking at another I/O for power but still nice if diesel powered.The 30 Commander is nice,but now your looking at twin gas or diesel and I/O's. There will always be a compromise so decide who makes it and go from there.

I know this won't fit the bill, but C-Dory Tomcat 25.5 sleeps 3 nicely with the regular co-pilot chair, 4 might require the rear canvas but dual outboards would make it fly as the weight is pretty close to our 25 classic with double the power. It's my future Haida Gwaii boat. He's been selling it for quite some time and is a realtor so is just starting to feel the seattle slow down pain. http://www.c-brats.com/viewtopic.php?t=26585 http://www.c-brats.com/modules.php?...ame=gallery&file=index&include=view_photo.php

Patience, as the housing market pulls back and people realize their Heloc's aren't interest only there will be lots of nice boats coming.

Back