wrapping a stainless steering wheel.......

Dave S

Has anyone found a good way to wrap their steering wheel? Looking to take the edge off in winter and offer more grip to the wheel. Was thinking some of this might work?

MagicWrap2.jpg

OR some cycling handle bar wrap like this

WidgetFabricBarTapeOverhead.jpg

Anyone try this or something else?

hockey tape/med tape/cloth tape.. i mostly hang on to the speed wheel tho...

Send CCB a message. Have him coat it! You could even do it in glow :)

Its such a durable product, easy on the hands...just have ring of the wheel dipped and leave the spokes stainless...would be pretty sweet. All the colors of the rainbow.

Send CCB a message. Have him coat it! You could even do it in glow :)

Its such a durable product, easy on the hands...just have ring of the wheel dipped and leave the spokes stainless...would be pretty sweet. All the colors of the rainbow.

Did think about this. If I was in Van it'd be done already. I have some of his cb's and they are durable and nice to grip. My buddies Thunderjet wheel is dipped in a similar silicone rubber coating. That's what got me thinking I need something for my rig.

Hockey tape is so gluey. I dont know what it would be like after it got hot and gripped for months. I just used some of that ^ tape today to fix a sprinkler system great stuff might work, esp right on metal. I might try that cycling tape. Id be wary of something like muffler tape or something thats not ment to be handled. The glues they use can be toxic smelling.

edit missed the stainless part in the title. oh man that would be a shame to cover that nice wheel up :p it does get hard on the hands for long runs tho. Im with fa sheepskin in the winter, bling up the stainless in the summer.

Last edited by a moderator:
#60 nylon. soak over night in water. make yourself a stretcher, mine is a flat piece of wood with a hole of appropriate size in one end in about 1". thread the line through the hole in the stretcher. start wrapping keeping eacy wrap very tight. if you have ever wrapped an oar, you get the idea. all of my handhold on board REELFAST are wrapped this way and topped off with some decorative knot work, turks heads. never slips in your hands and is not cold to the touch. once that nylon dries out, it is super tight and won't slip. looks good and salty when you finish.

Tommy's upholstery sells a leather wrap that you can lace on. Have used it to re wrap steering wheels on gravel trucks and it works well. Cheap, easy and removable.

I'd say avoid dipping in any sort of rubber or latex. Eventually you're going to get some gas or solvent on your hands and that rubber is going to turn to a stick mess. Tape would work but won't look very nice - what about gloves :p

If you want to do it on the cheap side, I saw some steerng wheel covers at the local dollar store, they actually looked quite good - but they wanted I think $3.50! :rolleyes:

Back