wow

Jencourt

This is kinda late I know and I am not sure if it has all ready been posted or not. It was the first I had seen of it so I thought I would put it up. As some one who has never been a fan of the seine fishing method I found it both amazing and a little disturbing.

http://thecanadian.org/k2/item/304-fraser-sockeye-fishery

No place I would rather be (FISH ON)

If they had of fished that way from the beginning...ie selectively brailing fish instead of crushing them all by dragging them up on the table...they might be doing better now. Would rather see seiners fishing at a slow selective pace than gillnets which kill everything that it entangles.

Just to add I know they never could have dragged 45 thousand fish up onto the table anyway, the net would have burst.

Or the boat would flip [B)]

I think it was a made for TV comment( to many fish have to figure out how to get them on the boat) 2 options brail or over the stern ramp, and there is no way 120 tons are coming over the stern ramp. When the rings come up and the net is full your brailing, no decision to make.
My grand parents use to talk of sets with 10,000 pieces, and the biggest set we ever had was 4000, 45,000 WOW!!!

aug201010.jpg

Some dummies in the San Juans down here in washington tried to bring in a huge set and sunk their boat. Lucky they were found as it was in the dark of night.

if you think this is a 'selective' fishing method, think again. there is no one board a seine boat tossing wild fish out of the brailer. in fact once they are scooped up, its all over for those fish. the only selective harvest methods i know about are trolling and in the terminal areas, weirs, traps and wheels. everything else was designed to maximize harvest at minimum cost.

selective fishing for hatchery stock went out the window decades ago and that is exactly why we are in the dire straits we are in right now. you eliminate the survival gene pool by killing off the wild stocks, dump billions of hatchery clones in their place whose survival return rate is <1% on a good year and kiss the wild fish and sport opportunities goodbye.

Back