Would It Be Legal?.....

Seafever

001.jpg...if I added another hook onto the black hoochy as well.....that would be two seperate hooks on two seperate hoochies...but the whole rig is designed to only catch one fish.

It represents a smaller bait fish swimming behind a larger prey item....

My theory is they will hit the smaller one first....

But if they hit the black hoochy first then I should have a hook in that one too.

The regs say you can have multiple hooks (unless otherwise stated) but the lure must be designed to catch one fish at a time only ...

IMO I would be legal with another hook in the black one....what say you?

I say no. Trevor of no Bannanas had a 2 hook halibut leader and put a rubber smelly bait on each hook and was fined. both hooks had to be asosiated with one of the lures not a bait for each hook

But i have one of the rigs posted above and Stoped using it after I started snagging fish in the belly and other places from what I presume was them hitting the front hootchie and the second snagging them.

Anyone else have that happen?

-KK

I say no. Trevor of no Bannanas had a 2 hook halibut leader and put a rubber smelly bait on each hook and was fined. both hooks had to be asosiated with one of the lures not a bait for each hook
What?? Never heard that. I fish 12" hoochie's with a treble and a single and bait the hooks with what ever and that is not legel

ok...well I guess I'll just fish it the way it is with one hook on the rear hoochy.

Reason I'm going to try this route is because all the bigger fish I have caught or had on this year have been on smaller baits.

I would say not legal as is for a second hook in the hootchie because of the small separation between the two lures which causes them to present as separate lures and thus 2 distinct lures on the same line. Iif you were to move the smaller one up so that all or part of it was within the body of the larger hootchie then I don,t see why not since you would be presenting only one lure and you are allowed two hooks in the same lure. PS I often fish a smaller squirt inside of a hootchie but l prefer one larger hook on a swivel for its increased holding power and ease of releasing fish.

actually there is a swivel inside the black hoochy.......and the hook in the small hoochy is a 5/0 Gammy....

Ever since earlier on I caught a 25lb'er (that took off on a couple of screamer runs) with a single 2/0 hook...I haven't been losing too much sleep over hook size really.....

On the other hand I noticed that on big hooks, some fish will gulp the hook and the barb end will pierce the upper mouth and stick them through the eyeball from the inside out....

damned if you do and damned if you don't.......

View attachment 8021...if I added another hook onto the black hoochy as well.....that would be two seperate hooks on two seperate hoochies...but the whole rig is designed to only catch one fish.

It represents a smaller bait fish swimming behind a larger prey item....

My theory is they will hit the smaller one first....

But if they hit the black hoochy first then I should have a hook in that one too.

The regs say you can have multiple hooks (unless otherwise stated) but the lure must be designed to catch one fish at a time only ...

IMO I would be legal with another hook in the black one....what say you?

Good question, I have used this set-up in reverse, large one at rear with the hook.
I too have had a couple fish snagged and have assumed it was because they were going after the little one?

If it looks like it was designed to catch more than one fish @ a time then legally it is designed to catch more than one fish @ a time and thus contravenes regulations.

Quite simple really.

I can't believe he'd get fined. What if you were using multiple baits on the same rig?

Google is your friend.

That's an easy out...... What page is it on and I'll read it.

What if all are replies were as stupid as Dogbreaths this site would be useless. Thought this site was about helping each other and not having to go else were for information.

From the regs:

It is illegal to:

•angle with a fishing line to which more than one hook, artificial lure or artificial fly is attached except:
◦in the tidal portion of the Fraser River you can use two hooks, artificial lures or artificial flies, attached to a fishing line; and
◦in tidal waters any number of hooks attached to a fishing line if the hooks are used in combination to hold a single piece of bait; and
◦in tidal waters when fishing for Herring, Northern Anchovy, Pacific Sand Lance or Squid you may use any number of hooks on a fishing line.
*************************************************************************************************
The short of it is that if more than one hook is used, it is OK as long as all hooks are on the same piece of bait or same lure. Any other combination is illegal. One bait, multiple hooks OK. Multiple baits, only one hook.

so therefore a treble = 3 hooks and a stinger = a forth in a normal chovie setup eh

and why is most lures still sold with wacking great big trebles ie buzz bombs and zingers
where it would be nice to have a barbless circle hook or single barbless?

sorry for the rant.

Yes.....I kinda figured that it might be not acceptable

So I made this one up, where the front hoochy is the same size as the back one , that way they will not be tempted to go for the front one so much. After reading KK's experience with the back one snagging fish in the stomach etc. I now have my reservations about using the rig at all......

Seemed like a good idea at the time......:p

001.jpg

Seafever, I have been running a similar rig, with my hooked hoochie bigger, and as the trailer. To mount the forward squirt hoochie in place, I use a scotty line stop, and weave the 40lb test through it the same as you would downrigger line. It slides quite easily down the mono but is tight enough to stay in position when trolling.
The few fish I have caught on this rig all hit the bigger trailing hoochie, not the small forward one. I could tell this because it was in its original position. If the fish hit the small one first, it would have slid down to the bottom hoochie. Give it a try. I am still waiting to catch a fish in a case where he hits the small forward hoochie first. Good times.

Back