Would anyone like to take a newbie out prawn catching?

coltong

Hi there!

I'm coming down to Vancouver from the Okanagan with some of my family. I love crabbing when I'm down here but have never done any prawning before. I hear they stay in deep water and I don't have a boat that could get out far enough safely. Would anyone with the know-how and equipment like to go out and try our luck? I'll bring some cold ones while we wait!

Edit: will cover my half of all expenses! ;)
Edit: coming down April 8th and leaving on 12th
Colton

Last edited by a moderator:
Your best bet is to go out on a charter lots of good local guides around

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Crappy timing. I would like the company, but i'm off to work from the 5th to the 16th. Anyone who is willing to bring beer is welcome on my boat!

Colton, you will have much better luck finding fishing buddies if you become part of the online community first. Get to know some folks by sharing your fishing experiences, your knowledge, ask some questions etc.

Colton, you will have much better luck finding fishing buddies if you become part of the online community first. Get to know some folks by sharing your fishing experiences, your knowledge, ask some questions etc.
I agree it would be nice to invest a couple of weeks into the forum talking to people, but I don't come down to Vancouver too often and my departure date is so soon! Besides, what better way to make buddies than get out on the water with some good company?

Crappy timing. I would like the company, but i'm off to work from the 5th to the 16th. Anyone who is willing to bring beer is welcome on my boat!
Aww darn! Well maybe next time! Thanks for your offer anyways :)

Just another hint-- beer alone doesnt cut it. 50-50 share on gas, launching, etc. will smooth the waters

Just another hint-- beer alone doesnt cut it. 50-50 share on gas, launching, etc. will smooth the waters

Ahh yes good point with all of that. I was going throw some gas money at it but I'll make a note to help cover the rest of costs. Thanks!

Don't just offer "to help cover the rest of costs".
Pay them all.
Regular guests aboard my boat know to cover launch fees, bait and beverages.
I cover the gas, which on my 16 footer is relatively minor, but the truck eats a bunch while towing.
But then I'm probably going there anyway.
Larger boat, gas contributions for sure.
Just trying to establish ground rules I use when on other peoples boats.
(Sorry, I'm not in Vancouver.)

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't just offer "to help cover the rest of costs".
Pay them all.
Regular guests aboard my boat know to cover launch fees, bait and beverages.
I cover the gas, which on my 16 footer is relatively minor, but the truck eats a bunch while towing.
But then I'm probably going there anyway.
Larger boat, gas contributions for sure.
Just trying to establish ground rules I use when on other peoples boats.
(Sorry, I'm not in Vancouver.)
Great ground rules, T. A lot of newbs really do not understand the costs of running a boat. I put well over 2G a year into boat and trailer maintenance, up keep and safety. That is before it gets to the gas station and launch. I have some friends who understand this and are fully prepared to throw a hundred bucks down for the day, bring lunch and their own pops and aren't afraid to try to help with launch and retrieve. They get to come aboard again. Others think that eating half my lunch, watching me do all the launch prep and retrieve from the comfort of the pier and handing me $20 is appropriate. They don't get invited back.

Coltong, Here is what I get from your posts: In your own words you are not even prepared to "invest" a couple of weeks in talking to people and you want them to take you out to their best prawning locations. Later on, you can then come back with your own buddies and fish the same locations. So your guide has now given up his best spot and has more competition for these tasty morsels and you have given him some money for gas and some 'help" with the costs. Thanks but with a game like that, I'll pass.

Great ground rules, T. A lot of newbs really do not understand the costs of running a boat. I put well over 2G a year into boat and trailer maintenance, up keep and safety. That is before it gets to the gas station and launch. I have some friends who understand this and are fully prepared to throw a hundred bucks down for the day, bring lunch and their own pops and aren't afraid to try to help with launch and retrieve. They get to come aboard again. Others think that eating half my lunch, watching me do all the launch prep and retrieve from the comfort of the pier and handing me $20 is appropriate. They don't get invited back.

Coltong, Here is what I get from your posts: In your own words you are not even prepared to "invest" a couple of weeks in talking to people and you want them to take you out to their best prawning locations. Later on, you can then come back with your own buddies and fish the same locations. So your guide has now given up his best spot and has more competition for these tasty morsels and you have given him some money for gas and some 'help" with the costs. Thanks but with a game like that, I'll pass.

What is with this hostility??? I've come here with good intentions, more than willing to contribute to the cost of things. I just want to enjoy some time in the water with someone who would be going out on their boat anyways who might enjoy some extra company, and I get replies now accusing me of "stealing" fishing holes. For God's sake I live 5 hours away from Vancouver and I don't even have a boat.

I'm happy you wouldn't want me on your boat. I am just as happy not to be on it with you.

My god I don't even care so much as to go out anymore as I hope the rest of this community isn't this sour.

What is with this hostility??? I've come here with good intentions, more than willing to contribute to the cost of things. I just want to enjoy some time in the water with someone who would be going out on their boat anyways who might enjoy some extra company, and I get replies now accusing me of "stealing" fishing holes. For God's sake I live 5 hours away from Vancouver and I don't even have a boat.

I'm happy you wouldn't want me on your boat. I am just as happy not to be on it with you.

My god I don't even care so much as to go out anymore as I hope the rest of this community isn't this sour.

Colton, it's not hostility, it could also be that folks put in many hours sometimes years locating prawns.

If you were looking for Salmon, my guess is you would find more willing to help you out.

Best of luck.

Colton, it's not hostility, it could also be that folks put in many hours sometimes years locating prawns.

If you were looking for Salmon, my guess is you would find more willing to help you out.

Best of luck.

I just see this as blown out of proportion already. Original post is basically asking "going out prawning? Take me with you! I have money, beer, and good company."

If that did not appeal to these people, they don't need to make a post going on about the 101 reasons they don't want someone on their boat and how I'm stealing some prawning location of theirs before I have even hit the water. All they need to do is not reply if not interested. Couldn't be more simple.

I see already different opinions on what financial reimbursement should be given. Some say 100% covered by the guest, others 50% and I'm sure there's people in between. So that in itself shows theres no reason to get up in arms about this little forum post. Everyone has a different view on guests for their boat so if it doesn't meet your criteria, don't bother replying! Especially none of that accusation nonsense.

Sorry for the hijacks coltong.
And I'm sure none of it was personal.

After you've been around here for a while you'll probably notice that where a thread goes often has no relationship to the starting post or the title.

As I said in my first post, if you were coming to my area, we could maybe do something, but ...

And yes, can be a tough crowd - may explain why you see a lot of guys fishing alone (Just kidding?).

Sorry for the hijacks coltong.
And I'm sure none of it was personal.

After you've been around here for a while you'll probably notice that where a thread goes often has no relationship to the starting post or the title.

As I said in my first post, if you were coming to my area, we could maybe do something, but ...

And yes, can be a tough crowd - may explain why you see a lot of guys fishing alone (Just kidding?).

And a lot of guys no longer participating on the Forum.

There is still a lot of good info to be had here and some good posts and current info

A good amount of public forums allways have these issues

I can appreciate those who have been repeatedly taken advantage of by 'friends' who want to go out fishing... don't help in preparation, launch/retrieve or help with the monetary aspects... It get's old very quickly and you just want to cringe at the next person who suggests that they might like to tag along.

I completely appreciate that many people here, including me (and my husband of course), have spent a ridiculous amount of time and money on boats, gear and fuel to find our own prizes. For some, it's not something they wish to share and if they do, it's nice to be offered some compensation/comforts as the host.

Colton, I think the request, once edited shows what you're willing to contribute and people can either negotiate, accept or refuse (aka don't respond). It's nobody elses business what one choses to do with their boat.... and who knows, maybe someone would just be happy to have a partner on board for safety or company. Little more notice might help though.

Another thing to consider... Money in exchange for services is a whole new ball of wax if things go sour. All parties should be clear about that up front. Charter vs shared expenses between friends... etc.

Back