Work Channel

S

SUDS

Just back from trip to the work channel with my son. l5 Salmon 4 Halibut. Biggest 32 lb spring. Rest a mixture of spring, coho and pink. Heard of a 50lb spring being caught but didn't see it.
Road in seems better than last year. On Friday when we arrived a lot of the parking was taken up by Adventure Challenge bike race people. Parking space was scarce. Today when we left the bikers had gone and been replaced by campers, fifth wheels, tents and boat trailers - space was pretty scarce and on the way out we we passed by more people comming in. Saturday there were a lot of commercial guys passing through the area creating some big wakes. Today there was a commercial opening combined with a lot of junk in the water made for hard fishing.

Hey Suds, where is work channel? The name rings a bell can't place it. Sounds like you had a pretty good time. Lots of sporties fish there? Trailer a boat in there? Any info would help. Just curious
no real plans to go there.

redliner

The road into the work channel is between Terrace and Prince Ruperts. It is 12.5 kilometers of unmaintain dirt road. It is used by smaller boats to avoid the run from Rupert in open water.
From the launch which can be pretty trickey depending on tide,( no ramp or dock) it is about 30 k to the mouth about the same distance as the run from Rupert up. I am guessing there were close to 50 boat trailers at the launch when we left. Dolphins North Lodge is somewhere near the mouth of the channel and we see their boats around. This trip I only noticed two of them but usually there are quite a few more.
We got the 32 lb spring on Saturday no commercial guys fishing and only a few sporties, With the number of boats around on Sunday I don't think we would have had the room to play a fish that big.
It was a good trip, we normally release all pinks but because of conditions we decided to keep some this time.
We hope to get back later for the big coho run.

Thanks SUDS, Not sure why I've heard of work channel.Although I did work in Terrace for awhile. Still quite a run from Vancouver Is.

Back