Wonder why you didn't get any Crabs today ...we caught a poachers.

okaaay, i'll bite - i'm struggling to picture this this - seems like they'd need quite a long boat hook to reach the float/water?

My bet is that they used a grapple with a thin line.
Nothing better to do while waiting in port I guess.

That's not the point of this thread.
Common sense is down the hall and around the corner.

He's sure someone on the freighter lifted it and he was on the water. You are sure that no one on the freighter touched it.
So, aliens?
I think that is a big stretch that someone threw a grappling hook at it from 50' up at a trap that wouldn't be in close proximity of the ship. I don't know why anyone would drop near a freighter anyways....

Go drop in a bay of like 50' deep water. Not next to a freighter.

I think that is a big stretch that someone threw a grappling hook at it from 50' up at a trap that wouldn't be in close proximity of the ship. I don't know why anyone would drop near a freighter anyways....

Go drop in a bay of like 50' deep water. Not next to a freighter.
The freighters sit in a bay in 50 feet of water :D

I am an Asian Outdoorsman and I usually get fairly embarrassed by my some photos, videos and news articles always being an asian poacher. I agree it commonly happens but let me tell everyone though. We are not all poachers. I've been insulted by people before asking me if i'm following the law or howmany do I have in my possession or being told that "you people" always sell your catches to the asian supermarkets for profit.

95% of my catch is catch and release. I've reported a poacher on many occasions.

We are NOT all the same! Respect our wildlife.

You missed the part where I said "not next to a freighter"
I don't think a lot of people realize that when a 500' long boat swings on anchor it catches up to your trap, that seemed far away, pretty quick.

my bet is that no one on the ship touched it.
I am not sweating this..... and I am happy that I didn't lose my gear.
So I dropped two traps in the same vicinity ...upon my return the first trap contained about 15 crab with a few keepers and it took me a while to find the second trap. Found the buoy beside the rudder of the freighter...retrieved the trap with 1 crab in it. Traps were baited with chicken legs.
The bones and remains of the bait were in the first trap and nothing left in the bait bag in the second trap.
Noticed a line coming from the deck down into the water and the crew was pulling their own trap as I pulled away.
My guess is that the ship swung and picked up the trap with the rudder and the crew fished the trap and took the bait to use in their own trap.

Last edited:
It occurs to me that if freighter crews catch crabs or do any other fishing while anchored up in our waters what are the chances they have Canadian fishing licenses or much of an understanding of the fishing regulations or an interest in comply with them. I would think DFO does not spend a lot of time boarding, searching and investigating fishing violations on anchored ocean going ships.

I always drop my trap where I'm going to fish. The bell boy work well for me. It only takes a couple hrs to get some keepers and move on. Why someone would put traps close to freighters??? Its on you.

We caught this asian family ( yes, family with young kids) in the act emptying our traps between Jericho and UBC. When we questioned them, the answers was ,"sorry sir we didn't know that's yours ", and they ask us not to call fish cops. Just to let you know my traps well-marked so no one will mistakenly taken by others. Be aware ....and yes we report them. View attachment 50804

Please follow up with DFO and inform them you are willing to be a witness in court and provide evidence to support the offence if necessary so the individual is actually fined. If you are not willing to be a witness and provide evidence DFO will not issue a fine.

A quick look at the British Columbia Sport Fishing Regulations, 1996
shows at least one ticket that can be issued. Might be more but I did not look. For sure the following ticket could be issued:

61.6 41.1 Operate crab trap with tag, float or buoy that does not bear operator’s name 150

I am an Asian Outdoorsman and I usually get fairly embarrassed by my some photos, videos and news articles always being an asian poacher. I agree it commonly happens but let me tell everyone though. We are not all poachers. I've been insulted by people before asking me if i'm following the law or howmany do I have in my possession or being told that "you people" always sell your catches to the asian supermarkets for profit.

95% of my catch is catch and release. I've reported a poacher on many occasions.

Hey Huyfishing, there are always a few bad apples in any ethnic with different backgrounds that ruin it for everyone else. I have some amazing Asian fishermen friends that are very ethical and just like you, they do more C&R than keeping their catch. Also, the lack of education in teaching the ethics and right ways of fishing sometimes could play a big role. Sorry for getting sidetracked.

Preach on brother!

Thank you for having the courage to speak up on such a contentious subject. I too like you is an Asian fisherman and certainly share the exact same sentiment when it comes to poaching. We are on the same page in that one cannot defend the indefensible when it comes to poaching. I also believe the responses to the subject of poaching , not just to this thread but many, many other related threads really does brings out the best and worst in people on this forum. There will be people that want to lynch/deport without all the facts and then there are people that urge caution and investigative facts. Couple of years ago, a member posted pictures of some Asian on a boat and screamed that thieves were caught red handed lifting his prawn traps. The response here was naturally pretty nasty with people calling for deportation to sinking the guy's boat. I happen to know that boat and confronted him about what was being said on this forum. According to the owner, the rope from the prawn traps caught his motor and he had no choice but to cut it. He also gave $400 to the traps owner as compensation for his lost traps. I thought his answer was kind of fishy so I posted his response and ask for clarification from the original poster but he was not to be heard from again. Not saying that is the case here but I have become a little skeptical ever since.

Well for all you Crescent Beach crabbers, was out with the family Saturday checking and moving our traps which are clearly marked with last name and phone number. Came across a pretty arrogant boater with other couples on board sipping there Chardonnay practicing there best social distancing. They had the nerve to pull one of my traps as they cruised slowly towards white rock area. After removing the wife from the cockpit and flying over to them I proceeded to ask them what their last name was and getting no response, I then proceeded to tell them that it wasn’t the name that was on the F’ing float. There response was sorry we thought we ran over it. We had clearly watched them scoop the float from the swim grid and pull it up just enough to see that there were no keepers or crabs because I had already checked it and dropped about an hour before. Picture attached is the boat. Name of the boat was “Dale”.

Attachments

• 6702AA3A-1C94-453C-A89F-1AAAF086139D.jpeg
    6702AA3A-1C94-453C-A89F-1AAAF086139D.jpeg
    128.6 KB · Views: 205
Well for all you Crescent Beach crabbers, was out with the family Saturday checking and moving our traps which are clearly marked with last name and phone number. Came across a pretty arrogant boater with other couples on board sipping there Chardonnay practicing there best social distancing. They had the nerve to pull one of my traps as they cruised slowly towards white rock area. After removing the wife from the cockpit and flying over to them I proceeded to ask them what their last name was and getting no response, I then proceeded to tell them that it wasn’t the name that was on the F’ing float. There response was sorry we thought we ran over it. We had clearly watched them scoop the float from the swim grid and pull it up just enough to see that there were no keepers or crabs because I had already checked it and dropped about an hour before. Picture attached is the boat. Name of the boat was “Dale”.
Did you report it? I hate scumbags

Back