With rains any chance of more salmon openings?

RevyFisher

I've been following the openings as they opened the North Thompson for early August then last week the South Thompson. With the cooler weather and lots of rain in the forecast anyone think there's a chance we may see some more openings shortly so we can get some salmon that aren't black boots? Was hoping Thompson would be opening for Sept 1st to at give us a couple weeks at the springs before its typical closing date.

Harrison still shows as opening Sept 1st. Are the Coho and Chum in the system at that point or is it later in September into October?

Heard yesterday they may allow a small/short opening in region 8 if it rains enough. Comes from a good source at the hatchery. Been so warm for so long I dont know that I'd eat any of em though.

Depends on if those rains actually materialize. Harrison Coho and Chum Oct - Nov although it's not unheard of for a few to trickle in early or later.

A little birdie told me that a Fraser opening for chinook is coming VERY soon. Pinks TBD but likely within a couple days.

Kamloops Lake, main-stem Thompson, Shuswap River and Mabel Lake all open for Chinook retention as to tomorrow.

Cheers!

Ukee

It was great to see they reacted quickly to the change in the weather and opened up the usual waters from the Fraser through the interior.

Quickly? That's a joke right? Thompson River has been in the 18-20C range for nearly two-weeks, Fraser has rarely exceeded 20C all summer (though the PSC likes to report the instantaneous high in their reports, rather than the 24-hr or 7-day mean temp …) and yet they just opened both. Meanwhile the South Thompson continues to range between 20C as a low to 23C as a high and that fishery has been open for over a week. Chilliwack/Vedder has been experiencing historic low flows and high temps all season and yet was exempt from the Lower Fraser Region closures. Clearly DFO has no framework for how environmental flow and temp factors into fishery openings.

The flossing impact on low returns of sockeye is also a joke. This is the same Department that last year extended the snag fishery for Adams Sockeye on the Thompson well into the Thompson Steelhead and Interior Fraser Coho conservation windows - stocks that don't number in the 100's of thousands and millions, as the sockeye stocks passing through right now do, but rather 600 or so fish for the Thompson Steelhead run last year and some of the Interior Coho stocks being far lower than that. To justify the sockeye harvest commercially and recreationally DFO more than doubled the allowable exploitation of COSEWIC listed coho, an exploitation rate they promised to stick to in order to avoid listing these coho as a SARA protected species, and then blew that inflated exploitation rate out of the water with their continued extended harvest season.

DFO, putting the "Mis-" in "Management"!!

Cheers!

Ukee

I guess without being on the water i had no idea the rivers temps were below 20C. Again media hype painting everything with the same brush. I was surprised when they opened the South Thompson yet kept the rest of the system closed. I thought maybe they were trying to protect runs on thier way to streams that were low and warm like the Nicola amd Coldwater Rivers.

As for keeping the sockeye open so late last year that's another story. By the end mid to late September the sockeye were into full spawning colors and yet they kept it open. Luckily i don't think there were many on the river during the final weeks from at least what i saw.

Just glad we're getting a shot at some springs on the Fraser through Thompson watershed. Was worried if these rains didn't materialize that DFO would have been off the hook and had easily just kept them closed this year.

Quickly? That's a joke right? Thompson River has been in the 18-20C range for nearly two-weeks, Fraser has rarely exceeded 20C all summer (though the PSC likes to report the instantaneous high in their reports, rather than the 24-hr or 7-day mean temp …) and yet they just opened both. Meanwhile the South Thompson continues to range between 20C as a low to 23C as a high and that fishery has been open for over a week. Chilliwack/Vedder has been experiencing historic low flows and high temps all season and yet was exempt from the Lower Fraser Region closures. Clearly DFO has no framework for how environmental flow and temp factors into fishery openings.

The flossing impact on low returns of sockeye is also a joke. This is the same Department that last year extended the snag fishery for Adams Sockeye on the Thompson well into the Thompson Steelhead and Interior Fraser Coho conservation windows - stocks that don't number in the 100's of thousands and millions, as the sockeye stocks passing through right now do, but rather 600 or so fish for the Thompson Steelhead run last year and some of the Interior Coho stocks being far lower than that. To justify the sockeye harvest commercially and recreationally DFO more than doubled the allowable exploitation of COSEWIC listed coho, an exploitation rate they promised to stick to in order to avoid listing these coho as a SARA protected species, and then blew that inflated exploitation rate out of the water with their continued extended harvest season.

DFO, putting the "Mis-" in "Management"!!

Cheers!

Ukee

Back