Wiper motor

Chuck

Replaced AM 208-2001 wiper motors on my boat now wipers are jumping off the spline on the motor, especially when hit by a heavy overspray. Not a good time for the wipers to come apart.
Also the constant chewing has damaged the spline on the motor as well as the spline within the wiper.
A couple thoughts to eliminate the issue.
Drill and thread a hole in the motor shaft and run a small bolt in to retain the wiper or JB weld the assy together. The later not my first choice.
Any thoughts?

Rubber between the wiper and window frame to increase tension on the wiper to hold in place?

As in a rubber sheet or tire tube type material?
If so I wouldn’t think that the rubber could handle the constant twisting for an extended period of time. But what do I know!

Personally I would do a drill and tap with a small stainless bolt before anything. Drill through the outer coupler into the inner spline an 1/8” roughly and get a good seat on the spline. Do it right once and be done with . Or even a drill through with an R Pin so it can be removed for easy repair of ever needed. Or even better drill through and put in a stainless Roll Pin, be nice and neat and tidy and never move on you and easy to remove for repairs. Do not do a JB weld that would be a last resort emergency fix.

Last edited:
Back