Winterzing Options ?

T

Tin Bear

I store a raw water boat, I/O on a trailer outside (to large for my garage)during the winter. I have been taking it to a shop to have the water drained from the block etc. once done that is the end of my season

In order to extend the season, I am looking for other options, block heater, portable heat source, etc

Anybody have an alternative that works for them?

Many Thanks,
Greg

How about flushing it with a environmentally friendly mix of anti-freeze and fresh water. Fill up a garbage can with the mix, let it circulate then shut it down.

All you have to do is stick a trouble light into your engine cover and use a low waatage light bulb and that will be more than fine as the heat from that is quite a bit in a confined area thats all I used to do. Isnt your block on the engine freshwater cooled anyways????most inboards are raw water cooled on the manifolds and risers only.

Wolf

Blue Wolf Charters
www.bluewolfcharters.com

quote:Originally posted by wolf

All you have to do is stick a trouble light into your engine cover and use a low waatage light bulb and that will be more than fine as the heat from that is quite a bit in a confined area thats all I used to do. Isnt your block on the engine freshwater cooled anyways????most inboards are raw water cooled on the manifolds and risers only.
Wolf

Blue Wolf Charters
www.bluewolfcharters.com
agreed

nootkalasttrip015.jpg

Fill the dam tub!

Just make sure you light bulb does not come into contact with anything, especially any fuel lines and your fiberglass - the light bulb will burn them!

Not sure I agree with any source of power/heat around a closed in space and possible fuel vapors....caboom is a possibility. Anti-freeze is safer and doesn't cost you on the hydro bill all winter.

Well been doing the same thing for many years and seen it in many a boat really you shoudnt have any fumes if all fittings are tight and all things are done right if it aint then no matter what you do your asking for trouble no matter if its a boat or anything else. putting in a light is the most siple and efffective way really dont know of any other way short of a heater ooooh but then theres electricity again.

wolf

Blue Wolf Charters
www.bluewolfcharters.com

Yep, shouldn't have any loose fitting or vapors..and thats why boats never ever blow up or catch fire. It may be the simplest but not the best..in fact its called complacency. It didn't blow up last year so I'll do it this year. I know of a million dollar fire on board an ocean liner...the cause..a light bulb!!

Ya sounds like a good idea put a light bulb in your bilge, that will help your boat burn down like the rest that do in the winter. When the insurance guy comes by and finds out what how you were heating your bilge you will be SOL

Well I have never heard of a boat burnt because of this method but hey ANYTHING could happen( I could also be hit by lighting but I still walk in the rain)!!!!!!!!
This is what I have done I have a litte light base mounted on a piece of wood surrounded by a mjb coffee tin and a tiny metal screen on the top of it and it would sit perfectlly in the front of the engine so nothing could fall into (as anything would anyways)Also have another one that I would stick in the cabin part to do the same thing and it was my a way to see if the light was still on if it went out knew the bulb was gone.

When I had an inboard I did this for over ten years BECAUSE thats what a marine tech told me thats the easiest way to solve the problem besides heated garage, do whatever you like I really dont care this is what I have done in the past and WILL </u> continue to do so in the future.

P.S. dont light your fireplace or turn on your lights in your house it may burn down!!!!!

Wolf

wolf, I agree that the bulb is the best way. When my boat was in the marina for a winter i used two 50watt bulbs(one on each side of the motor). Used bulbs for over ten winters.

quote:Ya sounds like a good idea put a light bulb in your bilge, that will help your boat burn down like the rest that do in the winter.
quote:Well I have never heard of a boat burnt because of this method but hey ANYTHING could happen( I could also be hit by lighting but I still walk in the rain)!!!!!!!!
I have many years in fire restoration and clean up and have seen many fires. Thanks for your input Battle Bay, the ounce of prevention rule comes to mind and one can never be too careful but its not as straight forward as Wolf makes it sound. Wolf has many years experiance dealing with keeping engines from freezing and to him it comes as second nature but to someone who has never done it there are many mistakes that can be made.
Extention cords have to be of the right length and grade and for outdoor use. Connections should be kept dry. Be sure not to pinch the cord as this is one reason for why fires start.

quote:This is what I have done I have a litte light base mounted on a piece of wood surrounded by a mjb coffee tin and a tiny metal screen on the top of it and it would sit perfectlly in the front of the engine so nothing could fall into (as anything would anyways)Also have another one that I would stick in the cabin part to do the same thing and it was my a way to see if the light was still on if it went out knew the bulb was gone.
Wolf....Great detail on how to build a small light bulb heater.... that kind of info is priceless and should be shared..... thanks.
I think one of the biggest problems with this could be if the power goes out for any length of time or if the cord gets kicked by accident and the power goes out and things can freeze up pretty quick so its good to be able to see the light like Wolf mentioned.

And remember....Keep your tip up!!!
fish.gif

Don't forget heat rises, so anything below the light bulb is not going to stay warm.

And remember....Keep your tip up!!!
fish.gif

Thanks Guys, lots of great ideas, advice and safety concerns?

Variations of the light bulb and heater will extend my season

The antifreeze/water mixture garbage can solution would take care of November to sometime in March when I don't usually use the boat. A few more details on the process would be great, how much antifreeze? how long do you run it?...

I winterize the plumbing on my RV according to the manufacturers instructions which is to draw the antifreeze out of the jug and pump it through the system. Works Great, simple, never a problem

How about connecting my flusher to a hose and draw the mixture out of a a large container(garbage can...)shut it down when the mixture is gone

Your Thoughts?

Thanks Again,
Greg

Back