Winter Waxing Project - what works best for you?

searun

Putting finishing touches on the Man Cave, and once that is done the plan is to bring the Grady Beast home and start some much overdue heavy duty waxing. Looking for any advice and tips on bringing back the show room shine!

• Best wax?
  • Any particular steps (Cut wax, then finishing wax?)
  • Heard one guy saying it is best to wet sand??
  • Hand wax - vs - machine advice?
  • Any tips on good buffers and best places to buy one would be helpful also

Thanks in advance.

It really depends on how badly oxidized your hull is. I used a 3M one step cleaner/wax product that worked very well on my 10 year old Striper hull. This particular product had a very light abrasive cleaner (to cut the oxidization combined with a wax so I only had to do one application. I started hand waxing - but realized that my shoulder wasn't going to last the whole job. Picked up a $99 polisher at Midland tools and was able to do the balance of the job quite quickly.
I'd suggest you go on either the 3M or the Meguiars websites. Both have pretty good info on what products to use as well as application tips. Again, a lot will depend on what the hull looks like.

I would use 3m for sure

Rubbing compound then a finishing wax. Buy a good variable speed buffer and make sure not to get the hull to hot and be extra careful near decals

It really does depend on your gelcoat condition, just finished my 18' and it took 4nights after work. I used 3M rubbing compound followed by presta ultra polish followed by meguires marine wax. Turned out well. A little spritz of water helps if its getting too sticky while machining. I got presta products at KMS tools here on mainland. I used their green foam pad for compounding and polishing. You could try a small area with just polish and wax to see if it gives you the finish your looking for. If it doesnt then buy the rubbing compound and start with that.

3M one step has worked well for me on my 15 year old striper, Pat. I try to get it done twice a year, but at least once a year is sufficient to keep the oxidation in check.

I use spray detailer wax when wiping down the boat after a trip. Wash and wipe, and seems to keep it looking great.

I used this stuff in the spring year.. only did the boat once & the water is still beading off her all season.... a little pricey but what isn't when it come to a boat.... :)

Attachments

• 20141115_172249.jpg
    20141115_172249.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 257
Not a hope Owen.. ;) got the stuff from Acklands/Grainger..it was the only place I could find it... Pretty amazing stuff....:)

Guess I will order direct next time.... I have enough for about 2 more applications..the stuff goes really far and is worth every penny to me... :)

Auto Glym fine cut polish used with a 7inch electric polisher. Then for wax Starbrite marine polish with Teflon. Been using that combo for over 15 years as a result of some advice from a professional detailer. Always excellent results and uniform shine, no haze or swirls.

Auto Glym fine cut polish used with a 7inch electric polisher. Then for wax Starbrite marine polish with Teflon. Been using that combo for over 15 years as a result of some advice from a professional detailer. Always excellent results and uniform shine, no haze or swirls.

Is this what you use for wax Pro?
http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/starbrite-473-ml-polish-with-ptef-0790108p.html#.VGlmYfnF_4s

and this for polish?
http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/autoglym-super-resin-polish-0392824p.html

Thanks for all the advice, I particularly found that article from fiberglass.com to be highly useful. Dispelled a few myths I had.

Awesome!

Dave you have the right wax but not the polish. The only place I have seen the polish is an automotive supply store on North Park between Vancouver and Cook St. Auto Glym Fine Cut. It's about $40 for a litre bottle.

Did I mention I LOVE my gray aluminum unpainted boat hull???? Polish on boys-- polish on !! ;-)

Back