Winter storage tips

MikePA

This is my first year owning a non-aluminum boat. I've heard horror stories about people having mold/mildew issues over the winter. I'll be keeping the boat it the driveway under a tarp and using it periodically on nice days. I've heard of lots of different ideas to keep moisture at bay; de-humidifier, heater, desiccant pads. Hoping to hear what's worked for you guys in the past.

do not put it under a tarp.... it will be covered in green algae
So if it can't be in a garage/under one of those storage shed things.. better to just let the canvas get wet with a heater inside?

Last edited:
50395502421_f768294449_z.jpg

Haha I'll still be out there!

Lol yah I’ve had that one in the pocket for a while. I’m no one to talk mine are put away for the winter as our water will be a solid 3’ feet here soon enough.

I used a Costco shelter for years. Cheap and hold up quite well. If you do use a portable shelter ensure you anchor the legs. The patio foundation blocks that have a hole in centre and have slots for joists work well you can push legs into the centre holes. If it’s close to a fence you can lag bolt legs into that on one side. Remove all cushions and canvas to eliminate mould and mildew on soft surfaces. Ensure you have good air flow I left the back flap partially open. Cheap effective solution and you can access boat.

Take ALL carpets, pillows, ropes, life jackets, everything off! Open all the compartments and leave wedged open somehow. Clean it really well too. Old fish oils and food bits attract guests.

Carver Boat Covers
https://www.carvercovers.com/

Weatherproof and vented boat covers that last way longer than my two-footitis disease. I was introduced to this line of product by @pescador and I highly recommend the winter storage covers. Still need the dehumidifier if storing longer than a few weeks.
Best winterizing plan is to use the boat during the winter and give the boat and motor the love that they deserve....

The problem with our typical damp winters is we are forced to control the boats’ humid environment mechanically. the easiest and cheapest way to do this is by air exchange. if you had some sort of cheapo in-line fan that did nothing more than exhaust air out of your boat space, you would succeed. Heat, by itself without any air movement, is asking for trouble. Hot air holds more moisture than cold air and therein lies the problem with just plugging in a heater and walking away hoping that things will stay dry and moisture free. AIR EXCHANGE, not air movement is key.

Back