Winter Springs Tackle

RogersonCrusoe

Hi Guys,

I, somehow, managed to convince my girlfriend that the empty spaces in my spare tacklebox would be best served being filled with some winter springs gear. So I'm making a shopping list!

What is your go-to winter springs tackle? So far I own:
- Glow Coho Killers (Green and Chartreuse)
- AP Sandlances (Glow/UV and Black/Chartreuse)
- Pure Glow needlefish hootchie
- Pink stripe UV needlefish hootchie

Thanks for your advice.

My most productive setup was a Bon Chovy flasher, Irish cream/Bon chovy skinny g. 5' leader. Also did well with a madi/outfitter spoon.

I would go with tackle which works everywhere. I would pick any flasher...Glow on one side.

All I ever fish in winter are spoons on a 6 foot leader behind a flasher approximately 15' back off the wire.

For you I recommend in 3.5" and 4.0"light flutter type spoons:

Gibbs Skinny G in Outfitter and Irish Cream and Gold Nugget.
Gibbs Bonchovy Spoons and No Bananas
Silver Horde Gold Star Irish Cream, Green Glow and Glow Car Car and Herring Aide. Really hard to miss with these colours.
Smaller TKO spoons in the same colours.

I think you will find top producing winter fishers on the coast using these items. They catch fish all season long.

I usually don't fish with Hoochies or other plastics until there are more than an odd 12 pounder and up around. However many Island guys fish Hoochies a lot.

That's just me though.

Fish 'em within 2-10 feet of the bottom and post pics for us fish starved junkies.

Tight lines!

Similar gear as summer just glow and usually near the bottom. Greens and chartreuse for me.

Spoon colours as mentioned above (always glow) along with green onion glow flasher. Always drop a couple green brined anchovies with green glow teaser heads for good luck.....seems to work. Tip: always charge anything glow with a black light, or camera flash makes a big difference.

Spoon colours as mentioned above (always glow) along with green onion glow flasher. Always drop a couple green brined anchovies with green glow teaser heads for good luck.....seems to work. Tip: always charge anything glow with a black light, or camera flash makes a big difference.

Trophy what kind of black light to use on a boat then?

Canadian Tire sells a Black light flashlight which is infinitely useful for me after/during a tackle purchase.

Thanks RC I'll check that out:)

Lol just thinking out loud here do you take the lure into the store bathrm and turn off the light to test the glow effect of a lure before you buy it?? You got me laughing just thinking about it hehe

Last edited:
Amazon.ca has lots of blacklights at great/various prices. Look for ones with many ultraviolet led lights and emit the most nm wavelengths. I like the small flashlight type that use afew aaa batteries.

Thanks RC I'll check that out:)

Lol just thinking out loud here do you take the lure into the store bathrm and turn off the light to test the glow effect of a lure before you buy it?? You got me laughing just thinking about it hehe
I sure do! Trotac's bathroom is conveniently located ;)

Depends on the feed that is in your area. Sounds like you have a start on needlefish trolling lures. Larger lures in the same/similar colors will work for imitating Herring. Squid imitation would be a OG12 golden bait hootchie or a 5" Tomic 602; with preference to the Tomics with the uvbii suffix (ultra violet body iridescent insert).
Sometimes going old school with mooched herring is best as these fish often hug the bottom & areas that are rocky/have sudden depth changes are difficult/expensive (lost balls) to troll. Jigs are great as well.
Be prepared to release lot's of small fish & ditch the treble hooks.

Depends on the feed that is in your area. Sounds like you have a start on needlefish trolling lures. Larger lures in the same/similar colors will work for imitating Herring. Squid imitation would be a OG12 golden bait hootchie or a 5" Tomic 602; with preference to the Tomics with the uvbii suffix (ultra violet body iridescent insert).
Sometimes going old school with mooched herring is best as these fish often hug the bottom & areas that are rocky/have sudden depth changes are difficult/expensive (lost balls) to troll. Jigs are great as well.
Be prepared to release lot's of small fish & ditch the treble hooks.
Thanks Eric, the Bait in the Sidney area is primarily needlefish by the bucketload. So I have been successful with AP sandlance spoons, but enjoy switching it up a bit to keep it fresh.
The plugs are a good idea too, so I can cover a lot of water and try to find pockets of fish. Thankfully the bottom is sand/mud so I don't lose a lot of balls due to rocks on the bottom.

I've tried to get plugs to work in Sidney area and have a pretty poor success rate.

Personally I wouldn't overthink winter spring fishing. Similar gear as youre successful with in the summer in Sidney, make sure to have glow in the mix and cover ground. My 2 cents.

I've tried to get plugs to work in Sidney area and have a pretty poor success rate.

Personally I wouldn't overthink winter spring fishing. Similar gear as youre successful with in the summer in Sidney, make sure to have glow in the mix and cover ground. My 2 cents.

Agreed. Keep it simple with some glow and flash. Pour yourself something hot, sit back and relax knowing that there's people in our country shovelling snow while you're fishing.

Back