Winter spring fishing on fire!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

codfish

Codfish was out today for only 2 hours 10 fish on 6 to the boat kept 4 released 2
biggest 2 were 10 pounds other two were 8 pounds. Didn't seem to matter what depth from 100-125 feet hootchies seemed to be the best. Water was calm no rain or wind great day to be out.

Cheers Codfish[8D]

Well salty beaver all this means is that sooke is very consistent and so am I. HA HA . For the record salty fishing was great too bad we could only stay out 2 hours as it was really coming on when we headed for the dock.[8D]

What kind of hootchies codfish ?
Going out tomorrow to Porlier to see whats happening on the outside there , will start of with the hootchies you are getting hits on and see what happens.

AL

Alley,
I fished porlier a week and half ago. Windy. Not a sniff.
I used anchovies fished the 180 along galiano.
I dropped the prawn traps and didn’t get anything.

I would appreciate a report back how you did.

No Salty beaver I wasn't using bait. I was using Glow white hootchy with glow green hot spot flasher 36 inch leader. The other combo was glow blue hot spot flasher and the hootchy was an old commercial one , green yellow and white.
Hope this helps
cheers codfish[8D]

quote:Why am i always at work when we get a break in the weather ?
Couldn't agree more, RS. To add salt to the wound, I live in Metchosin and have to pass guys hauling their boats as I head into town in the am!
T2

OK salty will let you know what goes , I was going to fish the 200 ft line off of Galiano on the outside then come back in and fish the wall on the ebb , did you drop the traps outside ? or over by Tent ?
I know I can't put em down as its closed for 2 weeks but just curious , did well off of Mainguy Island at 230 ft.

AL

I dropped them on the out side did well last year , But nothing this time .I always use pellets but tried tuna cat food this time not sure if that was the reason.

salty , got back before the wind started to come up , wet as hell and very SLOW , one hit at 165 ft coming up to the reef on the outside of Porlier , fishing glow white hootchie 34 in behind a glow white and chrome flaher , pinned this back approx 28 ft .
Fished down the wall and hit a ling at 85 ft towing glow green hootchie behind a Abe and Al chrome flasher , same leader length.

AL

Thanks Alley, where is the wall.
I know one day I was fishing nothing all day, watched about four boats cruis down about another 10 minutes south of galiano and there is another reef down there dropped the lines and hit two right away, do you know what they call that area?

I second that, Where exactly is the wall? Is it the area on the inside of northern Galiano? With my little tin boat I could easily do the inside of Porlier if the weather cooperated.
Tent was such a no-go this year for me. Could you actually fish with no flasher for winter springs or is that silly? Was thinking of more action for the kids(ie playing the smaller fish) without the flasher. Maybe a dummy flasher off the downrigger?

quote:Originally posted by Eric

I second that, Where exactly is the wall? Is it the area on the inside of northern Galiano? With my little tin boat I could easily do the inside of Porlier if the weather cooperated.
Tent was such a no-go this year for me. Could you actually fish with no flasher for winter springs or is that silly? Was thinking of more action for the kids(ie playing the smaller fish) without the flasher. Maybe a dummy flasher off the downrigger?

YOu don't need one a lot of the time. I have a few of those ones that go right on your downrigger line. For a real riot on these little fish, I am going to get some of those Scotty mini-release clips from Outfitters and see if I can get my fly rod down with the Coyotes for some real light fun. Stick the flasher to your rigger with about 10 feet of line, then put your line 10 feet up from it on the rigger, they will see it, and you don't have to play it. I leave mine on when I take guests out, because the drag of the flasher helps keep the hook set in the fish.

WE WHERE OUT ON THURSDAY , FISHING WAS VERY GOOD ,bIGEST 12 SMALLEST 7 ALL ON THE FLY ROD. 185 WOLF TO ALRIDGE [JELLY FISH SQIRT]

Exactly , the "wall" I refer to is the straight drop off rock face on the inside of the North end of Galaiano , you can go right down to where the Government wharf is and for many years the fishing was good there on the big ebb tides.
If you still have a black and white rip tide jerk fishing lure somewhere in your tackle box dig it out for the kids , used to be deadly in that area tell them take out about 35 to 40 big pulls and have at it.

AL

I was just told that trolling almost coho speed is the way to go for feeders. Thus true AlleyCat and Codfish? Or were you trolling basic speed?
Was told that inside of Tent is good for feeders too. 90' was the magic depth apparently. Was gonna try and see if there was any truth to it this week maybe.

quote:Originally posted by Eric

I was just told that trolling almost coho speed is the way to go for feeders. Thus true AlleyCat and Codfish? Or were you trolling basic speed?
Was told that inside of Tent is good for feeders too. 90' was the magic depth apparently. Was gonna try and see if there was any truth to it this week maybe.

I troll for 'em about as fast as I can and keep the balls down (I use 15's). Lets you cover more ground, and the little buggers are not too picky,

I have never fished sooke in the winter, although i'm
thinking about making the effort.
do you find a tide change more productive or does it matter ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back