Winter Harbour Accomodations!

Saltwater Cowboy

Hey all! I've been fishing Nootka Sound now for the last 12 years or so and I'm getting al ittle bored with it! I'm wondering what the fishing is really like in Quatsino Sound (Winter Harbour) and even Kyuquot Sound? I've heard great stories of awesome fishing but also of brutal weather and constant winds! What's the truth? Also where do you stay if you want to bring your own boat and stay in Winter Harbour I know where to launch just wondering if there's a floating lodge with moorage or something like that with cabins to sleep in? I wnat to explore but not if it means brutal weather and rough sea's the whole time! I can fish the inside of nootka and it's as calm as can be! Thanks for the feedback!

SW Cowboy

I do the Fishing, God does the Catching!

there is accomadation on the white side of kuuquot, as far as fishing sheltered, launch you boat at fair harbor. for fishing at winter harbour, you could stay at holberg, which ids on the way, or there is a small hotel gen store liquor store in winter harbor. salmon fishing in rupert sound, quatsino, kuyuquot is similar to nootka sound - awsome. be sure to stock up in campbell river or port mcniel, as supplies can be short on thast side of the island, there is moorage at winter, and it is sheltered, but small

thanks for the info! Is it really as bad weather wise as people make it seem? I have a 21 foot Grady White so I'm not alien to rough water and how to deal with it but alot of the people i fish with are a bit green and they enjoy the inside waters of Nootka sound is there similar places to that in Quatsino with the same great fishing?

What place are you staying at CS? Is it Dick's last resort? What places do you reccomend? I definetly don;t want to be running an hour each way everyday!! Is the bottom fishing in the same area a cou0ple Km's off shore or is it quite a bg haul to get where the Hali's are? I Love to fish and love to fish even more when the fishings great even if it means a little wind and rain!

SW Cowboy

Hey CS! Thanks for all the knowledge! Yeah I have a 2in1 GPS/Chartplotter & fishfinder. It's a furuno 1650 blah blah I don;t know all the rest! The boat is new and all the gadgets so I'm trying to still figure out how to run the Furuno properly so I can do it quickly this summer! They can sure make some stuff really easy and other stuff really compicated! DOH!! I'm booked into Nootka this year at Critter Cove for Mid July and I would love to also make a trip tp Quatsino but it sounds like I might have to wait till next year if there are no accomodations, as I'm not willing to run an hour each way everyday! Keep your ear to the ground though as I would appreciate it if you here of any openings at Dicks or others! Thanks again!

SW Cowboy!

you may wish to try the logging camp in holberg, it is on the way to winter habour, and the scarlett ibis next door has pretty good food. i believe the camp is run by interfor or western forest products.

Hey CS! HOw is that derby for fishing? What areas are you mainly fishing? What are the exact dates of it and I'll see if I can wrangle a way to get out of work and try for some fun on the water! IS there a big cost or prizes?

SW Cowboy

Back