Windshield glass gasket replacement suggestions

Puffin

I recently purchased a 2003 Trophy 2052WA with the glass cabin option (Hardtop with side glass but no rear). The glass in the aluminum frames is very loose as the rubber gaskets/seals have broken down. You can shake the hardtop a couple inches side to side as the glass moves in the frame. I discovered this driving it out to Bamfield.

The glass is still fine as are the frames. I'm looking for either a shop that can replace the gaskets at a reasonable price near Nanaimo (four huge panes and two small triangular) or a diy repair that is not a cheap band-aid but a long term solution.

thanks for any help

J

Can you silicone or urethane them in place? Mask them off and do a nice clean job so it looks like the old strips, if I follow what you need correctly. Modern windshields and backlites in cars are held in with urethane and it becomes part of the structural rigidity of the vehicle it's so strong. Photo of what you need perhaps?

I was gonna suggest exactly the same repair idea
Morning Jay,
Most auto glass shops can supply a variety of rubber gaskets that may work.. Silicone is only good for 1 thing

AQUARIUMS !!!

This from an ex Glazier

Morning Jay,
Most auto glass shops can supply a variety of rubber gaskets that may work.. Silicone is only good for 1 thing

AQUARIUMS !!!

This from an ex Glazier

That's what I was going to say, a good automotive/rv glass shop should be able to get you the correct rubber gasket strip you require. Take your boat down and they should be able to measure it and order it. Comes in rolls so if they do it much you may need to buy the whole roll.

Morning Jay,

AQUARIUMS !!!

This from an ex Glazier
As a active glazing contractor, I can say that silicone is not just for aquariums. It would likely work fine for this application and wouldn’t require removal of the frame. But yeah, a glass shop should be able to find you a gasket that will work. I’m on the mainland otherwise I would try to help

Thanks for the suggestions guys.

No silicone for me, thanks but butyl rubber would be a way better choice than that. Part of the problem is the glass has sunk in the frame and the edges at the top are below the frame in some locations. I can't see any way to fix unless I remove the glass which will entail removing the outside rubber/plastic trim that holds the glass in place. I have read that after 17 years it will not be reusable at all. I need some solid rubber at the bottom of the glass inside the frames to prevent it from sinking again.

Local boat dealer parts guy was quite helpful. He said these guys did all the glass on the boats back then:

http://www.taylormarine.com/index.html

I will have to call them and provide a hull number and they will be able to supply all the gasket & trim material direct (my wallet is hurting already). Will post how it turns out once I get a hold of them.

A good Auto Glass shop should have a catalogue that you can go through.... There are hundred's of rubber gasket profiles that are available
and I'm sure that at least 1/2 a dozen will work for your windshield

As a active glazing contractor, I can say that silicone is not just for aquariums. It would likely work fine for this application and wouldn’t require removal of the frame. But yeah, a glass shop should be able to find you a gasket that will work. I’m on the mainland otherwise I would try to help
I've just always hated using silicone .... It's a pain to work with.. It good to have for things like tub surrounds and shower door installs.

I just hate the stuff

Thanks for the suggestions guys.

No silicone for me, thanks but butyl rubber would be a way better choice than that. Part of the problem is the glass has sunk in the frame and the edges at the top are below the frame in some locations. I can't see any way to fix unless I remove the glass which will entail removing the outside rubber/plastic trim that holds the glass in place. I have read that after 17 years it will not be reusable at all. I need some solid rubber at the bottom of the glass inside the frames to prevent it from sinking again.

Local boat dealer parts guy was quite helpful. He said these guys did all the glass on the boats back then:

http://www.taylormarine.com/index.html

I will have to call them and provide a hull number and they will be able to supply all the gasket & trim material direct (my wallet is hurting already). Will post how it turns out once I get a hold of them.

As far as butyl rubber and urathane are concerned ... we used to call that stuff Elephant snot... stays on the hands for about 3 weeks

Morning Jay,

AQUARIUMS !!!

This from an ex Glazier

Absolutely not true. Many of the modern high rises and commercial buildings in a city have glass held in place with structural silicone, neutral cure in other words. From a Glazier with 43 years experience. As mentioned, Urethane is a structural component of modern automobile design the way it bonds the glass to the metal.

Any photos of exactly what you are hoping to replace? Is it the push in rubber and the glass sits in a metal frame, or a complete gasket that encompasses the glass? If the glass has slipped, sounds like push in rubber.

Absolutely not true. Many of the modern high rises and commercial buildings in a city have glass held in place with structural silicone, neutral cure in other words. From a Glazier with 43 years experience. As mentioned, Urethane is a structural component of modern automobile design the way it bonds the glass to the metal.

I know silicone is used for a million things, i just never liked the smell. The Acetic Acid in it always reminded me of Salt and Vinegar chips.

The best use of Silicone was to inset all of the space shuttle tiles

I know silicone is used for a million things, i just never liked the smell. The Acetic Acid in it always reminded me of Salt and Vinegar chips.

The best use of Silicone was to inset all of the space shuttle tiles

Neutral cure silicone does not have the vinegar smell that acid cure silicone does. Neutral cure is what engineers call for in building/glazing work due to its superior performance over acid cure. The space shuttle had urethane to hold the tiles in place, not silicone. It was yet another product that was invented for the space or military/defense programs that found its way into a mainstream consumer item. Carbon fiber, honeycomb aluminum etc are other examples.

Neutral cure silicone does not have the vinegar smell that acid cure silicone does. Neutral cure is what engineers call for in building/glazing work due to its superior performance over acid cure. The space shuttle had urethane to hold the tiles in place, not silicone. It was yet another product that was invented for the space or military/defense programs that found its way into a mainstream consumer item. Carbon fiber, honeycomb aluminum etc are other examples.

Attachments

• Space_Shuttle_(HRSI_tile).png
    Space_Shuttle_(HRSI_tile).png
    40.6 KB · Views: 26
Van Isle Glass in Langford got gaskets for my windows when I build hardtop. I used Double Eagle windshield gaskets with new glass. As others stated they had a thick catalogue with all shapes, size and thickness's of gasket materials. Supper helpful guys.

HM

Back