window defrosters

alumaman

My windows fog right up in the boat when I turn on the propane heater. The heater is a force 10 direct vent radiant heater and properly vented. Has any one used mini electric heaters that go bellow the windows and do they work? I have also put on the anti fog stuff but it does'nt do a heck of a lot to stop the windows fogging up. Any suggestions?

You've basically got a problem with warm moist air hitting a cold window and the water condensing. A fan/defroster is probably your best bet. I've got a built in defrost fan on the boat -- it works ok but its not like the one in a car as it doesn't put out much heat or airflow. At best, it clears off a small patch of the window. I'd think the best thing would be a fan like you see the bus drivers use to keep the air circulating.

I find that RainX on the inside windows does help a bit as it prevents the water from condensing -- it drips off.

TenMile
<'((((><

hi guys
I have a Dickinson 9000 propane unit in my boat and also a separate fan on the opposite side of the windshield. I have not had a problem with fogging. My Dickinson is mounted beside the port side front seat, and the heater fan blows air toward the windshield. I also use rain x on the inside of the windshield. So far the combo has worked well, even in some pretty lousy westcoast winter weather.

L

I put a defogger product on the inside of the windows but still have a condensation problem. I will try and put some type of fan setup in there as the force 10 heater is radiant and doesn't do a heck of a lot of good except to warm up the roof, gotta get the air to circulate somehow.

When you burn propane an enormous amount of water is produced with that heat, having said that, if your heater is getting it's combustion air from inside the boat might be the cause of the problem.

IMG_1445.jpg

Yes it is getting the combustion air from inside the cabin. I will take a good look and see if I can rig up some sort of fresh vent.

I would definately get outside air to the heater, If the cabin is sealed it's useing your oxygen. deadly.

It has a fresh air vent for combustion air.

Back