Windlass Anchoring

That sits not to bad, your concern is it’s to close and may hit the gel coat, looks pretty good if the rocna is tight like that. Fits way better than mine, I’m gonna have to make some mods. I’ll take some phots tomorrow, I’m gonna need everyone’s feedback, I definitely can’t splurge on the rocna specific roller

Sounds good I'm gonna do a few drop tests in the yard to see how it handles the last mile set into the roller. Its damn close tho and ya, I wasnt pumped about having to throw more cash at this, at least I can divert the funds off the burner card to avoid the noisy conversation around the dinner table...let's see your connections from chain to shank too.

Last edited:
Sounds good I'm gonna do a few drop tests in the yard to see how it handles the last mile set into the roller. Its damn close tho and ya, I wasnt pumped about having to throw more cash at this, at least I can divert the funds off the burner card to avoid the noisy conversation around the dinner table...let's see your connections from chain to shank too.
Ha I’m actually a little embarrassed about my rope and connection lol, I was looking at it last night cleaning it all up to attach to the new expensive anchor. The spending has to stop somewhere lol. I’ll post some photos today

Ha I’m actually a little embarrassed about my rope and connection lol, I was looking at it last night cleaning it all up to attach to the new expensive anchor. The spending has to stop somewhere lol. I’ll post some photos today

I'm going chain to swivel to that fancy French forged long D shackle but the shackle seems tiny...20200508_140809_resized_1.jpg

That will work and should not bind. Do you have lock tite on the swivel threads?

Awesome thanks. I have loctite on the boat and will add it when I snug it all down before pushing off next weekend. I figured this was a test fit at best but will lock it all up...I did add the best wire job ever to the shackle aka a paperclip lol

The connection from rope to chain is a little rough looking but seems strong was mostly rust stained from old chain. Here’s the rope 732953BC-E5BE-44B9-899F-332B9D49E86A.jpeg

My budget is getting up there for boat improvement do first thing was first, drill a hole in the new rocna to modify it to fit existing anchor roller set up
657C746A-844F-495D-8147-3C6ED90ABCDA.jpeg

Sorry for all the double photos not sure why,

need to now modify support to brace anchor side to side thinking cut this bracket down and bolt it on each side 469DA2FA-1B03-4ADE-894E-2BE6054043E8.jpeg

Other random possibilities CD1283B5-EE3A-43EF-8A72-189D7F37E576.jpeg

Attachments

• C29FF67F-D093-4D35-9924-228292A24E41.jpeg
    C29FF67F-D093-4D35-9924-228292A24E41.jpeg
    343.8 KB · Views: 4
This is mine. Its a snug as can be. That little U-Shaped bracket at the bottom jams the anchor upward and tension is kept by the windlass. I attached a rope as a safety. Perhaps you could do similar using your roller bolt? Maybe need a longer bolt and a stainless U-Bolt.
You should really redo your anchor line to thimble. Have someone braid it for you. If you use 3 ply anchor rode this is how you do it. I did mine and have never done it before. To test it I tied to a tree and my Jeep and put quite a bit of tension on it. Did not budge. Plus it will go through your windless this way.
https://www.anchoring.com/blogs/anchoring/how-to-do-a-rope-to-chain-splice

Rocna.PNG

hmm, couple questions, one comment.
Comment-holy begesus - that rusty chain/shackle in the "before" picture scares the hell out of me - pretty sure that's "slightly" past the point it should have been replace and -would have kept me up at night!
Can't tell for sure - but I'm assuming there is a proper splice lurking under that electrical tape?
What's the purpose of having the 2 shackles? The one with the red pin looks to be a load rated (i.e good) crosby ) - why put the smaller one in line? I'm assuming it's because the rated pin wouldn't fit in the link - in which case the smaller "weakest link" kind of negates the benefit of the bigger one.

Back