Windlass Anchoring

Discussion in 'Boats, Motors, Trailers and Towing Rigs Forum' started by Rain City, Apr 25, 2020.

1. Rain City

Rain City Crew Member

This is exactly what I was thinking about doing. I'm staring at it anyways so it's not hard to count the red marks. If I miss one them I'll have an extra 25', NBD. I think the bow hatch might be my solo solution to knocking the chain down.

I think I understand most of what you're saying. Speaks to my experience level I guess. I'm assuming the previous owner went with tons of chain to deal with the rope binding issue. I certainly couldn't pull it all up by hand.

30 Commander (15000 lbs)

2. mayday

mayday Active Member

BTW, that situation sounded a bit more like your original question - i.e deep water "hali" anchoring vs the overnight "regular" anchoring - I 0% experience with the former - I thought that is why those nutbars (I've seen some on the westcoast off Tofino in a heavy swell, fog, deep water - not for me!) - I thought that is why they tend to use the "lots of rope" along with a big scotsman and a ring method to bring up the line? Quicker and easier to coil the line when you are in the cockpit.

3. Rain City

Rain City Crew Member

You're totally right. And I was warned to not try it with my windlass. I was in what I thought was protected water up howe sound and the wind was calm. Really just wanted to try paying out a bunch of line to get to the rope to know how it all worked. Luckily there was very little swell, lesson learned.

4. Sir Reel

Sir Reel Well-Known Member

RC. You need to practice this in shallower waters first and not in a live situation! :)

A couple of things.
    • Most Commanders have 150 to 200" of chain plus another 100 to 15o' of rope. They came that way from factory.
    • They are heavy boats with a lot of windage. ( Command bridge!)
    • The rope will go through the windlass but yes it does need tension. Your rope is probably old, salt encrusted, and not as pliable as it used to be so the gypsy cannot grab it as well
    • A new rope would work better
    • Another thought is your gypsy teeth could be warn and so not grabbing the rope as well.
    • Your Windlass should be wired to your house battery not your start.
    • For that matter nothing should be wired to your start batteries as you have a full house bank for that.
    • There is a huge amperage load with the windlass. Just look at the cables going to it.
    • Always run your engine ( the engine with the high out put alternator for house side) when running your windlass.
    • You want maximum voltage and amperage to the windlass motor
    • Otherwise with low voltage and amperage you could damage windlass and possibly damage your batteries too.
    • Take your entire chain and rode out on the wharf to see what you have. Get some spray paint and put on markings you can understand. Every 25' is good I think.
    • I also have a laminated sheet with the markings table at the dash in case I forget
    • While on the wharf you can check the entire length for any problems too. Especially the rope to chain splice
    I can take out my entire chain and it coils back in no problem. You could have someone run the windlass while you watch in the cuddy hatch. Maybe it is just hanging up somewhere. There are also different types of chain. Windlass chain will coil in a nice neat pile. Regular chain will not.

If you want to anchor that deep you should really get a proper setup with Scotsman. It can be dangerous otherwise.

Interesting that your anchor held at that depth. Another plus for the Rocna!

5. Rain City

Rain City Crew Member

Ok awesome thanks for the advice. I was told the windlass was recently purchased so don't think it's worn. The previous owner did do all sorts of electrical "upgrades" so still trying to figure things out. I honestly still don't know the boat all that well. Nothing new to me though as I've been bumbling my way through boating from the beginning. Even my cruising experience has been exclusively with another rookie. Didn't spend any time at all on the ocean growing up. Always something new to learn it seems especially with each new boat.

6. Sir Reel

Sir Reel Well-Known Member

I think that is part of the fun of boating is learning all the new stuff. I have spent quite a while getting comfortable with my boat and all the systems and wiring. Its amazing how complex it really is. Hope to meet up with you some day and buy that seat cover if you still have it. I can show you what I know about the Commanders wiring too.
    Sucks the rendezvous was cancelled. However some of us are still going there just wont be any activities. It is a great place to learn about the boats from other owners.

Rain City likes this.
  7. Rain City

Rain City Crew Member

Yes I still have the cover! Almost threw it out the other day. I'm sure we'll hook up soon enough. The rendezvous are tough to commit to so early with the kid. The wife is still trying to regain her sea legs after the pregnancy.

Sir Reel likes this.