Wildmanyeah's Canned Pink Salmon Experience

wildmanyeah

Crew Member
With two pinks in hand...

upload_2019-9-3_19-7-51.png

Two pinks only made 6 jars..but good enough as this was an experiment anyways..

upload_2019-9-3_19-8-45.png

The finial result....

upload_2019-9-3_19-12-23.png

6 sealed jars.....YAY

upload_2019-9-3_19-13-53.png

Turned out awesome and honestly not that much different tasting then canned sockeye. Maybe I will be keeping more pinks in the future. A special thanks to my dad who helped me along the way.

Last edited:
Get one of the weights for the regulator. You can order them on Amazon. No fuss no muss. Set it and forget it. Easy peasy. So easy a caveman could do it. **** way she goes.

Nice. Get the spine and skin in there next time.

I have had canned sockeye where it’s just staked and put in and it’s okay but I fine the bones can add a chalky taste and the skin and brown fat next to the skin adds a
Fishery taste. So I wasn’t going to take the chance with pinks.

Looks great. I like the bones is all.
We need a fish bilogist to explain the brown layer. I think it is actually the slow twitch muscle that a fish swims with, while the red part is the fast twitch muscle it uses to sprint, jump, and dig with. I could be wrong, of course. Fat is within all the muscles.

Looks great. I like the bones is all.
We need a fish bilogist to explain the brown layer. I think it is actually the slow twitch muscle that a fish swims with, while the red part is the fast twitch muscle it uses to sprint, jump, and dig with. I could be wrong, of course. Fat is within all the muscles.

This is my understanding as well.

This is my understanding as well.
Three types of muscle on most fish. Red, pink, and white. Red is the swimming muscle, and is the "brown" bit closest to the skin. Highly vascularized, it's the most often used swimming muscle, well oxygenated and quickest recovering.

As the muscle becomes less vascularized, it becomes less red. These muscles are for burst swimming, and are powerful, but anaerobic, requiring longer to recover.

In salmon, the carotenoids camouflage the white muscle, but the layout is the same as other fish.

Back