Wildlife group urges BC to ban hunting of big cats

And it continues!

It saddens me that eco groups continue to focus on saving predators.

seems like they want the predators to wipe out prey species and then blame it on hunting and then go well time to close all hunting then.

clueless Eco urban terrorists

BCWF Reaction & Action:

https://bcwf.thankyou4caring.org/bcwf-call-to-action

Supporting the Managed Hunt

As the leading conservation organization in the province, with over 43,000 members, the BC Wildlife Federation is aghast at statements being made in a new campaign to ban cougar, lynx and bobcat hunting. While sensationalizing legal hunts may yield headlines, it does a disservice to conservationists who understand predator-prey relationships and undermines the science-based management of wildlife.

Like any other wildlife species, cougars and other wild-cats need to be managed using scientific information. In many circumstances, hunting is an appropriate means of managing predator numbers and ensuring a balanced predator-prey relationship.

The BCWF supports the present hunting and trapping regulations related to wild-cats as developed by the province's wildlife biologists. Hunting and trapping of these species are highly regulated with designated seasons and bag limits. Under their conservation status, these wild-cats are ranked as secure and not at risk of extinction.

Cougar populations in British Columbia are now high enough that people in rural communities are more frequently experiencing dangerous face-to-face encounters with cougars pursuing prey animals that now reside within residential areas in an effort to avoid predators.

Hunter conservationists contribute significant funds to wildlife management through license fees, which the provincial government committed in 2018 to return to wildlife management. Hunters, anglers, guides and trappers also contribute over $6 million annually to wildlife research, maintenance and enhancement through surcharge fees managed by the Habitat Conservation Trust Foundation. These fees have been invested in conservation for the last three decades.

In contrast, the sole purpose of the wild-cat ban lobby is to end predator hunting and contributes nothing to wildlife management and habitat enhancement. Inaccurate and emotional statements in support of this proposed ban undermine science-based wildlife management.

While all members of the public are entitled to their opinion on wildlife management, facts should trump emotion. Wildlife management is complex and certainly not without controversy, but the BCWF expects our provincial wildlife biologists to manage all species of wildlife on a sustainable basis and not be influenced by theatrical statements from those who choose to ignore science-based management.

We encourage our members to write to their MLA's, Premier Horgan and Mr. Donaldson – Minister of FLNRORD and let them know you support the hunting and trapping regulations as set out in the Hunting and Trapping Regulation Synopsis, and in particular that you support the hunting of cougars, lynx and bobcats.

Let your voice be heard and fill out the form below. You can choose to send the letter provided or you can personalize your message.

“Vancouver Island has more cougar attacks than anywhere else,” Eyer said. “I think for somebody living in a town like that, you need to be cautious because these generally younger cougars looking for territory do come into these areas. Everywhere else they go they adults claim that territory.”

https://globalnews.ca/news/5114696/lake-cowichan-child-cougar-attack-update/

Somebody should send that link to the Wildlife Defense League and any of the Idjuts who support their nonsense!!
wink.gif

Cheers,
Nog

Like I said, they won’t stop until it’s all gone boys. They are just getting rolling.

Keep voting these people into power and you can not expect a different outcome, it’s absolutey impossible. Think about that man !!!

Sent in many letters, received the regular response, then today just got this. If use users do nothing as many did for the grizzly's then we fight a loosing battle. I wonder how many antis sent in letters? Bet more than us hunters. All who voted these fools in need to shake their heads. I would be hunting the big bears if Christy was still the boss and probably not paying highest gas price in North America.

Good afternoon Mark,

Thank you for contacting the Constituency Office of MLA John Horgan, my name is Maureen and I work in John’s Langford office. John appreciates the time you have taken to contact our office with regard to hunting practices in British Columbia.

As you may know, the Fish and Wildlife Branch establishes legislation, policies and procedures for managing fishing and hunting activities, and for the allocation of fish and wildlife resources for recreational and commercial use. This is done by preparing Fish and Wildlife Program regulations in consultation with regions and other stakeholder, and preparing the Hunting and Trapping Regulations Synopsis and the Freshwater Fishing Regulations Synopsis.

The province manages wildlife populations on the principle of conservation first, followed by First Nations' rights. Only then is licensed hunting allowed. For example cougar, lynx and bobcat populations appear stable, and anecdotally, cougar populations in the Kootenay region are increasing. There have been increased cougar sightings and the Conservation Officer Service is responding to more cougar-related calls in the Peace Region. There are currently cougar population studies occurring on Vancouver Island and in the southeast Kootenays. Finally, the number of bobcats appear to be increasing, which is based on the number of harvested animals in a given year by trappers or hunters.

The vision of the provincial Wildlife Program is “naturally diverse and sustainable wildlife supporting varied uses for current and future generations.” To support this vision, the BC Government, via the Wildlife Program, focuses its efforts on the adaptive, proactive and coordinated delivery of wildlife conservation, use and enjoyment opportunities.

Again, thank you for taking the time to write.

Kind regards,
Maureen

At least a response.

HM

Same Canned Reply we are all getting HM. Totally non-committal of course...

The following has been posted on Facebook, and on several of the other hunting sites. Worth a read:

Written by retired biologist, Dean Trumbley.

So I am not writing this as a TV show host but instead as a former registered professional wildlife/fisheries biologist.

So why is it that social policy doesn't change the way we build bridges or changes a medical diagnosis by engineers and doctors, respectively. Oh yah that is because we 100% respect and identify that we need engineers and doctors who dedicate their lives via education and experience to make bridges structurally sound and diagnose disease and illness. You never see social policy or public pressure change an engineers blue prints or a doctors diagnoses. You especially will never see a politician go in and change a blue print or medical diagnoses on those aspects either.

So as a retired biologist, as with all other biologists, who dedicated their lives to wildlife management, why is it we as people allow emotionally driven propaganda to influence our politicians to then step in and effect or worse yet change science-based wildlife management. Also...you would never see any of these same propaganda driven people stand in a drafting room or in an emergency room throwing garbage at engineers or doctors to effect change. Yet this seems to be the "accepted" practise lately. WTH?

I think one of the other crimes is our current politicians ignoring both mandate and legislation. What do I mean...well most of our top wildlife management acts in Canada and throughout the world indicate very clearly that "science" is the means to manage wildlife populations and decisions. I.E. Species at Risk Act, North American Model for Wildlife Management, etc... The reason these propaganda driven individuals and even our politicians don't change engineer or doctor's decisions is because it would result in a bridge or building collapsing or an individual dying. We leave those decisions to the professionals who have dedicated their lives via education and experience to make those calls within their disciplines which are also regulated and peer monitored via professional associations. I simply have picked out engineers and doctors as an example but this can be applied across any other professional discipline and the results are the same. However, not in the environmental sciences and especially biology. I am greatly offended that this is allowed to happen.
I have had the pleasure in my biology career to work along side some of the best biologists in all of Canada especially when I sat for six years on the COSEWIC files.

Sad thing is these same uneducated, emotionally driven, propaganda generating individuals are not achieving what they say their end goal is. They achieve a short term victory by getting a season shut. However, the long-term reality is...they have done way more damage to the target population (and other species populations) because they have ignore and went around the professionals by using social policy to effect the decision of weak minded politicians whom ignore the legislative mandates to achieve popularity votes.

So why do I love the hunting community... simple. We hunt and accept hunting regulations based on wildlife management. Cause at the end of the day most hunters want the exact same thing. A healthy environment, lands at carrying capacity, vibrant populations, solid science and YES...we are the first group to shut down an area or reduce a season or even shut down a season if we knew this was what is best for the longevity of a species. Guess who else wants to see that as well....BIOLIGISTS.

So let's stop this social policy garbage, kick politics out of wildlife management and do what is best for the species...SCIENCE.

I am sorry if there are errors or typos as I am doing this in my cell and also still recovering from an illness. But for those who know me I couldn't help myself, I am passionate about the outdoors and wildlife management hence why I dedicated my life to it.

Well said IMHO
Nog

As a non-hunter, with zero objections to hunting, I think the hunting community needs to up their game to convince the uneducated to be more tolerant. The spokespersons need to be well chosen.
Culturally, urban Canadians can't understand why anyone would want to eat a maggot, rat, grizzly, or cougar.
The challenge is even greater if it's not about the meat (or human safety).
Here's another cougar incident
https://www.castanet.net/edition/news-story-253372-3-.htm#253372

Back