Wild Fish Trapped: Incidental Catch in the Salmon Farming Industry.

Whole in the Water

Yet another of many reports on how the net pen salmon farming industry negatively impacts wild salmon and the marine environment. Absolutely disgusting how DFO and both Cons and Libs support this industry at tax payers expense! All the more reason to continue to pressure Fed and Prov govt's to move these polluting, disease spreading, wild salmon killing net pens out of the water and on to the land!

Excerpt taken from page 1 of the report.

"Wild Fish Trapped: Incidental Catch in the Salmon Farming Industry Background

In recent years, Fisheries and Oceans Canada (DFO) has been criticized by numerous high profile and independent entities on its failure to protect British Columbia’s wild fish from the risks of open-net salmon farms:
  • 2012 - the $37 million Cohen Commission of Inquiry into the Decline of Sockeye Salmon in the Fraser River concluded DFO’s alignment with the salmon farming industry may impede its ability to protect wild fish;
  • 2012 - an expert panel appointed by the Royal Society of Canada concluded DFO’s alignment with industry may impede its conservation of biodiversity mandate;
  • 2 2018 - the Auditor General of Canada concluded DFO did not adequately enforce compliance with salmon farming regulations to protect wild fish;
  • 2018 - an expert independent panel appointed by Canada’s Chief Science Advisor, Dr. Mona Nemer, found problems with DFO aquaculture science, including transparency issues with online reporting and risk assessments;
  • 2019 - a federal court judge concluded that, in relation to the risks of fish farm pathogens, DFO “fails to embody and is inconsistent with the precautionary principle, and it fails to take into consideration the health of wild Pacific salmon.”
In short, DFO’s record on regulating the salmon farming industry is fraught with criticism. This includes their communication of science, and public reporting. They require continued auditing and critique. This report aims to increase public understanding of the risks of open-net salmon farming and the inadequacies of DFO’s oversight of this industry."

Link to the report:
https://www.watershed-watch.org/wor...460103765&mc_cid=00ca12858a&mc_eid=40977b7a71

Just released: Wild Fish Trapped: Incidental Catch in the Salmon Farming Industry.

We know there’s a lot of secrecy around salmon farms, and sometimes we have to dig a little to uncover the truth. For example:
  • the number of wild fish caught in salmon farms has been increasing every year with nine times as many caught in 2017 compared to 2011;
  • Approximately 13.2 million wild fish may be held within 65 B.C. salmon farms at any one time; and
  • an additional 663 tonnes of wild fish may be attracted to the vicinity of the farms where they can be exposed to fish farm viruses.
Incidental catch of wild fish by salmon farms threatens the health of B.C’s coastal waters. This report exposes more of the fish farm industry’s dark side and its impact on wild fish.

Yet another of many reports on how the net pen salmon farming industry negatively impacts wild salmon and the marine environment. Absolutely disgusting how DFO and both Cons and Libs support this industry at tax payers expense! All the more reason to continue to pressure Fed and Prov govt's to move these polluting, disease spreading, wild salmon killing net pens out of the water and on to the land!

In recent years, Fisheries and Oceans Canada (DFO) has been criticized by numerous high profile and independent entities on its failure to protect British Columbia’s wild fish from the risks of open-net salmon farms:
  • 2012 - the $37 million Cohen Commission of Inquiry into the Decline of Sockeye Salmon in the Fraser River concluded DFO’s alignment with the salmon farming industry may impede its ability to protect wild fish;
  • 2012 - an expert panel appointed by the Royal Society of Canada concluded DFO’s alignment with industry may impede its conservation of biodiversity mandate;
  • 2 2018 - the Auditor General of Canada concluded DFO did not adequately enforce compliance with salmon farming regulations to protect wild fish;
  • 2018 - an expert independent panel appointed by Canada’s Chief Science Advisor, Dr. Mona Nemer, found problems with DFO aquaculture science, including transparency issues with online reporting and risk assessments;
  • 2019 - a federal court judge concluded that, in relation to the risks of fish farm pathogens, DFO “fails to embody and is inconsistent with the precautionary principle, and it fails to take into consideration the health of wild Pacific salmon.”
In short, DFO’s record on regulating the salmon farming industry is fraught with criticism. This includes their communication of science, and public reporting. They require continued auditing and critique. This report aims to increase public understanding of the risks of open-net salmon farming and the inadequacies of DFO’s oversight of this industry."

Link to the report:
https://www.watershed-watch.org/wor...460103765&mc_cid=00ca12858a&mc_eid=40977b7a71

Just released: Wild Fish Trapped: Incidental Catch in the Salmon Farming Industry.

We know there’s a lot of secrecy around salmon farms, and sometimes we have to dig a little to uncover the truth. For example:
  • the number of wild fish caught in salmon farms has been increasing every year with nine times as many caught in 2017 compared to 2011;
  • Approximately 13.2 million wild fish may be held within 65 B.C. salmon farms at any one time; and
  • an additional 663 tonnes of wild fish may be attracted to the vicinity of the farms where they can be exposed to fish farm viruses.
Incidental catch of wild fish by salmon farms threatens the health of B.C’s coastal waters. This report exposes more of the fish farm industry’s dark side and its impact on wild fish.

Honestly I just role my eyes when I see post like this. Title of the thread "by catch in salmon farms" followed by a brief comment by the poster, followed by large list of ideas unrelated to the topic posted, bunch of links that want donations, then another list that states the "truth" which two of the items are "May".

Bycatch is an issue but far more reaching than just salmon farms. Anyways carry on with your "donate" links" and cut and past.

Thanks for agreeing that bycatch of wild salmon and herring is an issue for net pen salmon farms.

Seems obvious that you did not read the report otherwise you would have clearly seen how what you call "large list of ideas unrelated to the topic posted" relate to one of the main points in the report - this being how DFO is supporting the salmon farming industry at the expense of wild salmon and the marine environment.

Lastly and most certainly, I and a growing number of many others will carry on and work hard to get these net pens onto the land where they belong. Just a matter of time - gotta like it!

Last edited:
You "may" break a leg jumping off a cliff - or die even. The "Science of Stupid" is a whole reality TV show that illustrates the consequences of the actions of irresponsible and oblivious non-thinkers that may even try to justify their stupid actions by claiming the warnings were "dishdallop" - or some other equally dismissive, arrogant and paternalistic narrative.

Although I might expect that perspective from an industry PR firm - I would not expect the same perspective from responsible and professional regulators charged with the protection of wild stocks and guided by the "Precautionary Approach". I wouldn't want stupid people in charge of the protection of our wild salmon.

Last edited:
Quote:
I wouldn't want stupid people in charge of the protection of our wild salmon.

Yet here we are.

Runs of salmon almost completely wiped out and probably will be.
Steelhead runs being wiped out .

All under the watchful eye DFO.

Last edited:
Yet we are OBD. I don't think we need to start with that intent, tho.
stupid.jpg

Last edited:
Imagine if Fish farms went completely land based, and the our salmon stocks showed no difference of improvement and still declined.

What would the scapegoat for our salmon be then?

My opinion on FF is they should be completely land based FYI

Last edited:
Imagine if Fish farms went completely land based, and the our salmon stocks showed no difference of improvement and still declined.

The next scapegoat is white recreational fishermen ya silly sally. It's already in motion.

Many of these internet entities continuously fighting ff's are paid employees of the same organizations who lobby to close recreational fishing. Where you been lately???

I'm sure the appreciate you support. lol!!

Fish farms are not the scapegoat. Anyone that believes that if they disappear that all the runs would come back is a little a crazy.

It is death by a thousand cuts and fish farms are just one of the many factors impacting the populations.

Funny you mention that. Todays culture thrive on everything natural and having things as natural as posable such as free range beef and free range chicken but when it comes to salmon farms it does a mysterious switch where suddenly unhealthy, high density inland tanks is "desirable". So what's it going to be?
Anyways, more high density protein production is inevitably the way of the future anyways so enjoy your free range chicken and free range beef while you can if you believe that's what your currently truly eating. lol

Gentlemen don't take the bait. The topic of this thread is wild fish trapped by fish farms. Their goal is to derail the topic and get the thread shutdown by admin and perhaps get the topic banned from this site again.

The correct response is to politely ask that they start their own thread with the topic they are trying to derail with and perhaps you will respond there.

Im not sure glg. If you look at the opening post it breaks the rules right from the get go. Its half about the title of the thread but conviently includes a whole bunch of other ideas/issues. Why the double standard. Its inevitably going to get locked up. It definitely will....wink wink. lol

Oh I see your point but it is in the report. Why miss an opportunity to inform the reader but the point cut and past are huge topics leaving the thread wide open for a variety of discussion that isn't directly related to the title of the thread. What a pickle that is.

So If I start to discuss the cohen 2012 commission listed above am I changing the topic? Theres 5 different topics there.

Im not sure what you expect. Maybe your cut a past needs to be edited so that the post isn't such a wide brush and then the complaining can stop.

Im not sure glg. If you look at the opening post it breaks the rules right from the get go. Its half about the title of the thread but conviently includes a whole bunch of other ideas/issues. Why the double standard. Its inevitably going to get locked up. It definitely will....wink wink. lol
Thank you for your reply and may I make a suggestion that you start a thread about the double standard or something as this thread is about incidental wild fish caught as this is an important topic that does need attention. If we can keep it to that then we all benefit.

Link to the report:

Could careless what watershed posts. Bunch of idiots. Same old NGO ramble with incomplete info. I have questions and concerns on fish farms but this group isn't the answer.

Remember watershed effectively helped close our fishery. Be very very careful who you side with on this issue. Not our friends. Fish farms are a concern but beware of wolves in sheeps clothing.

Last edited:
I agree need to be thoughtful and careful. But also need to be strategic sometimes as history has shown many times that a enemy of an enemy can be helpful at times for specific objectives.

I agree need to be thoughtful and careful. But also need to be strategic sometimes as history has shown many times that a enemy of an enemy can be helpful at times for specific objectives.
AND... "Keep your friends close - but your enemies closer"...Michael Corleone quoting Machiavelli in "The Prince,"
giphy.gif

It's why I go to all the aquaculture meetings...

Last edited:
Back