why?

fowl hook

why do i never catch fish when i do what everyone else is doing? Yestersday i was at long lake and we had about 8 worms taken from big bites but none stayed on it pisses me off.Why?

Ya that was the worst thing but aleast we got bites and lots of em!

Ya that was the worst thing but aleast we got bites and lots of em!

Were the fish short striking? (meaning the fish ripped the worm off the hook)

Or were you losing the fish after a short fight? (If this choice, then follow Wolf's advice)

If you are trolling a "big" worm, the fish may have 2-4" of grabbing room behind the hook. Short striking fish get a mouthful of worm, tug on you to say thanks, and off they go.

... It really sucks when that happens!

To beat this, you can try using a stinger hook attached to the bend of the first hook by 2-3" of mono (really small hook works well here like an egg hook). That way the worm is held by the first hook but a short striking fish gets "stung" by the trailing hook.

NOTE: you can not use this technique in waters that specify "single hook only"

Cheers,
Alex

... "high water" is when you can fish from your car.

Were the fish short striking? (meaning the fish ripped the worm off the hook)

Or were you losing the fish after a short fight? (If this choice, then follow Wolf's advice)

If you are trolling a "big" worm, the fish may have 2-4" of grabbing room behind the hook. Short striking fish get a mouthful of worm, tug on you to say thanks, and off they go.

... It really sucks when that happens!

To beat this, you can try using a stinger hook attached to the bend of the first hook by 2-3" of mono (really small hook works well here like an egg hook). That way the worm is held by the first hook but a short striking fish gets "stung" by the trailing hook.

NOTE: you can not use this technique in waters that specify "single hook only"

Cheers,
Alex

... "high water" is when you can fish from your car.

Ok they ripped it off the hook. So i guess their biting the tale i have hanging behindr0---

Ok they ripped it off the hook. So i guess their biting the tale i have hanging behindr0---

i think its mabey the hooks a-train . i've noticed most of your are kid of rust colored and covered with rust. i think thats because they are rusty and dull

i think its mabey the hooks a-train . i've noticed most of your are kid of rust colored and covered with rust. i think thats because they are rusty and dull

Back