Why this BC group is feeding the killer whales

It is about time to be putting more fish out there at leat fill the streams to half of what they used to hAve in them than everyone will be very happy again

Yup, good work by that group for sure and a good interview to listen to. Chris is quite knowledgeable on the subject of chinook/ocras and he's realistic in that it's going to take a lot more of this sort of work to have a significant impact on overall SRWK populations. It's amazing how many chinook these orcas need to survive (15-30 chinook per whale per day). The Fraser is still the biggest river to concern and similar projects on the Fraser would be welcomed.... in addition to a lot of other habitat and enhancement work. I'm looking forward to attending the SRKW conference in Vancouver next week where I am sure the topic of chinook salmon and orcas will be prominent.

Indeed a good project that can help feed endangered orcas and hopefully provide more fish to catch for local anglers, First Nations while helping the local economy.

The project plan is to expand the number of fish from 250K this year to 500K next year and eventually up to 2 million that will have a 2-5 % survival/return rate (due to sea penning the smolts to allow them grow and then be released at a larger size). That is a lot more Chinook swimming around Sooke in the future!

The expansion of this project needs volunteer and money to be successful.
- To learn more about this project go here: http://anglerscoalition.com/?page_id=4308
- To financially support this project by becoming a SVIAC member go here: http://anglerscoalition.com/?page_id=2136

Any and all support for this project is gratefully appreciated!

I wonder what it would take for those residential pods to start eating mammals like the transients, they sure aren't starving.

I wonder what it would take for those residential pods to start eating mammals like the transients, they sure aren't starving.
They're very different animals and not just in looks.

Turning the question around the Vancouver Aquarium once had a transient in captivity it took the thing 60 days of not eating to recognise Herring as food-it died of starvation anyway.

Back