Why oh why?

Jencourt

so I got to the marina and found this.
What caused it? Is it toast?

upload_2019-6-30_19-36-18.jpeg

That's one huge pearl. Probably worth some $$$$$ No idea what caused it, but bet your going to buy a new one. Did have one drain out once, killed a ton of bugs, cant be good stuff in them?

HM

The fluid inside is often a light mineral oil which in this case turned very cloudy. It may be repairable but likely a new compass would be cheaper.

Ki
The fluid inside is often a light mineral oil which in this case turned very cloudy. It may be repairable but likely a new compass would be cheaper.

Thanks. Kinda thought that. Curious if it is age or too much sun that causes it.

Buying a new one may help a company who are feeing the pain right now. Sorry trying to find a good from it. When mine let go stuff that came out "smelled good". Mineral oil? Is that what killed the flies? Been awhile since I costed a compass? Good hunting.

HM

Buying a new one may help a company who are feeing the pain right now. Sorry trying to find a good from it. When mine let go stuff that came out "smelled good". Mineral oil? Is that what killed the flies? Been awhile since I costed a compass? Good hunting.

HM
Danforth (AquaMeter) uses Exxon Isopar-M as the oil and Ritchie uses Isopar-L, a lower viscosity oil . A Richie Helmsman flush mount compass is about $250.

When's the last time any of us actually looked at our compasses? Not suggesting you don't have one in board, but maybe a cheap hiking one for emergency would suffice?

When's the last time any of us actually looked at our compasses? Not suggesting you don't have one in board, but maybe a cheap hiking one for emergency would suffice?
I look at the compass any time I head off shore or if fog rolls in. A good compass is an essential piece of navigation equipment. If batteries or electronics fail, a good compass will help get you back home. A marine, hand held compass is great for piloting.

so I got to the marina and found this.
What caused it? Is it toast?

View attachment 46074
Looks like water got in your compass and mixed with the oil, much like what happens when a seal goes in an outboard leg. As for having a compass onboard, I have a handheld vhf radio, a hardwired vhf radio, and a plotter/sounder all with gps and still look at my compass and wouldn’t want to be without it. Electronic **** fails, and I guess compasses too, lol

Fair enough, I have a nice Ritchie and haven't actually looked at it in a couple years now that I think about it.

Back