Who's our Friend? Hint: he has a Fin!

Little Hawk

Dear Friends,

You wrote to me recently about your concern for fish and fish habitat. I want to thank you for writing and provide you with an update.

I, and the New Democrat caucus, Canada's Official Opposition, have been speaking out against Bill C-38 (the Budget Implementation Act or Trojan Horse Bill) since it was introduced in Parliament. Our concerns about the Conservative government’s plan to gut the Fisheries Act, specifically Section 35, have, unfortunately, been realized.

The Budget Implementation Act amends Fisheries Act by removing “habitat protection” from Section 35 (1) and replaces it with a weaker standard of habitat protection that applies to activities that would cause serious harm to “fish that are part of a commercial, recreational or Aboriginal fishery, or to fish that support such a fishery.”

This new legislation will seriously impair the federal government's ability to protect fish, its habitat and the ecosystems that they require to thrive. Along with changes to the Fisheries Act, the government is dismantling years of environmental laws, such as re-writing the Canadian Environmental Assessment Act, Species at Risk Legislation and the Migratory Birds Act.

Bill C-38 is being rammed through the House of Commons with little oversight or accountability. If it passes, I predict this bill will be looked back on as one of the most undemocratic bills in Canadian history.

It is vitally important that people speak out and let their MPs know just how much they oppose this bill, its contents and the manner in which it has been pushed through Parliament. Canada’s New Democrats continue to fight this legislation.

Please visit www.FinDonnelly.ca<http://www.findonnelly.ca/> for updates on Bill C-38 and the steps that me and my colleagues are taking to fight the Budget Implementation Act.

Sincerely,
Fin Donnelly

Member of Parliament New Westminster–Coquitlam & Port Moody NDP Critic for Western Economic Diversification Canada and Deputy Critic for Fisheries & Oceans (West Coast) www.FinDonnelly.ca<http://www.findonnelly.ca/>

Back