Whonnock Lake Crappie Ice fishing

I cant beleive there is even trout in that lake. I remember going swimming there as a kid all the time. Tadpolls,fogs,turtles and sunfish, did not even no people trout fish there.

You can catch hundreds of black crappie there in an afternoon. Beautiful cutthroat the the lake, not many though. Midge fishing for rainbows can be awesome, you can watch them fin and get in front of them. Twitch, twitch bang. There is a small lake across and west of the beach. If its early in the morning or go ask for permission (catch release). I had huge rainbows in it. It was wanstal's place.

15 years ago the average fish was twice the size of what you get today. Overfishing has killed the size. Thanks for releasing your catch as some would keep those size. Great place to take the kid with all the constant action though. Find the 20 foot hole straight out from launch this time of year.

Thanks. Perch are a very tasty, firm white flesh and fry up real good. Someone with kids should fish them as they are easy and fun to catch.

Back