Whonnock Lake Crappie Ice fishing

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fishing Forum' started by FishDoc, Mar 21, 2017.

1. FishDoc

FishDoc Active Member

I headed out one evening to Whonnock Lake to check out the population of trout and crappie. The crappie were in shallow water 5-6 feet and very aggressive. Although they were quite small it was still fun to get out there on the ice and catch some fish. This is how it all went down.

matt benson, Wild Bill and bones like this.
  2. wildmanyeah

wildmanyeah Well-Known Member

I cant beleive there is even trout in that lake. I remember going swimming there as a kid all the time. Tadpolls,fogs,turtles and sunfish, did not even no people trout fish there.

3. bones

bones Well-Known Member

You can catch hundreds of black crappie there in an afternoon. Beautiful cutthroat the the lake, not many though. Midge fishing for rainbows can be awesome, you can watch them fin and get in front of them. Twitch, twitch bang. There is a small lake across and west of the beach. If its early in the morning or go ask for permission (catch release). I had huge rainbows in it. It was wanstal's place.

4. Gramps

Gramps Active Member

15 years ago the average fish was twice the size of what you get today. Overfishing has killed the size. Thanks for releasing your catch as some would keep those size. Great place to take the kid with all the constant action though. Find the 20 foot hole straight out from launch this time of year.

bones likes this.
  5. Prawn Star

Prawn Star Active Member

Does anyone know if there are any perch or crappie lakes on the island?

6. Kildonan

Kildonan Well-Known Member

Elk and Langford lakes (Victoria) have lots of yellow perch. I had a buddy who would eat them and said they were delicious.

7. Prawn Star

Prawn Star Active Member

Thanks. Perch are a very tasty, firm white flesh and fry up real good. Someone with kids should fish them as they are easy and fun to catch.

8. FishDoc

FishDoc Active Member

Thanks for watching guys. I'll have to check it out for trout in the open water if I have an afternoon to get out.