Wholesale bait sources?

AndrewH

Rather than buying the individual packs of anchovies, anyone have a source where you can buy them by the box? I know that Barry's does but they are still over $11 a pack when buying by the case.

My buddy over in Sooke gets his for around $7/pack by the case but I can't seem to find anyone on the mainland.

Also anyone have any experience with the vac packed anchovies out of WA/OR?
https://vancouver.craigslist.org/van/sgd/d/richmond-frozen-anchovies-bait/6928315297.html

We have purchased them bulk in the past from Hub City Fish Packing in Nanaimo - 20 lb bags and last year they were charging under $2.00 per pound. We just bring them home and spend a couple of hours vacuum packing them into packages of 10 to 12. You do get a mix of sizes but they have always worked well for us and a big saver of money compared to purchasing the bait pre packaged at any of the stores.

I split a case of anchovies 10 to a pack out of Westport Wa with a friend. 40 flats are $207.48 US dollars so about $7 Canadian per flat

Before you go buy inferior anchovies or bring them up from Gray's Harbor to save a few bucks, think about the Tackle Shops that are struggling to survive in light of these DFO closures.
I for one am happy to spend a few extra bucks locally for quality Rhys Davis Anchovies.
With support from us, hopefully the local Tackle Shops can get thru these difficult times!

Before you go buy inferior anchovies or bring them up from Gray's Harbor to save a few bucks, think about the Tackle Shops that are struggling to survive in light of these DFO closures.
I for one am happy to spend a few extra bucks locally for quality Rhys Davis Anchovies.
With support from us, hopefully the local Tackle Shops can get thru these difficult times!

I know Derbys anchovies are inferior.

Also don't expect to get any at the last minute if you run out when you don't support the local tackle shops because they will then stop carrying bait if no one is buying it.

I am trying to understand the lecture on here. I pointed to the guy that supplies all the tackle shop. Then we move to inferior anchovies. LOL.

I am trying to understand the lecture on here. I pointed to the guy that supplies all the tackle shop. Then we move to inferior anchovies. LOL.

lol
certainly not directed at you or anyone personally, but at fishermen in general.
If you choose to take it as a personal lecture, that's your problem!

Stick to the OP's original question. If you want to have a conversation about supporting local shops, by all means start a thread about it. He asked a simple question and it doesn't require a derail!

As I understand it, the historical practice for high value Chovies was to take them alive, small net pen them and starve them for a period of time. This keeps the bellies from blowing out when fished. If they still do that, it adds significantly to the package cost but gives you a better product.

Rather than buying the individual packs of anchovies, anyone have a source where you can buy them by the box? I know that Barry's does but they are still over $11 a pack when buying by the case.

My buddy over in Sooke gets his for around $7/pack by the case but I can't seem to find anyone on the mainland.

Also anyone have any experience with the vac packed anchovies out of WA/OR?
https://vancouver.craigslist.org/van/sgd/d/richmond-frozen-anchovies-bait/6928315297.html
Rhys Davis anchovies are a product of Gray's Harbour. Most tackle shops offer a case discount on bait. If you really want to buy them wholesale, contact one of the local bait suppliers. Typically, minimum order is 10 cases.

2019 Prices the same.....Excellent Quality and lost of other baits to ....Tell Rob , Clint sent ya !Screenshot_20190714-225258_Contacts.jpg

Back