WHO TO TAKE FISHIN..?

wildwest

Well I think this is an overlooked piece of topics on this forum....can your buddy or two or your wifey good on the deck? Like to hear anyone's story's good or bad..

I like to take the Wifey. Why you say? Because she get's the sleeping bags all fluffed-up before snooze time in the cuddy.

I think guys who go fishing with their buds on smallish boats are why you are seeing ramps closing. So if you want to see your local ramp closed fly at er

Wife is good any time not just in these weird Covid times.
1) Yes, the Cuddy !
b) The Cuddy!
iii). She is the one to say "That scared the $t out of me. You need a bigger boat" and mean it.
four). I have a 8-10 hour trailer road trip to fish Kitimat or mouth of the Skeena. A lot of guys WANT to go but then cancel at the last possible minute. That means that I have to ask 2 guys to come along 'cuz of cancellation rate. Wife is more reliable than dudes.

The one who shows up with a) his license b) lunch and c) his VISA. I have one buddy I fish with and it's always a race to see who pays for fuel first. I never ever let him pay but the gesture is huge for me and he provides a never ending stream of gear.

I'm done with drunks who just break your **** since I gave up being one myself. Haha

I am done with guys who sit in the boat, whine about sharing fuel, use my equipment and break or deep6 it with out thought of paying for it (or have me do ALL the rigging and I loose/break equipment for them).

At least with my wife, there are benefits to providing her with a fully guided fishing experience.

I think guys who go fishing with their buds on smallish boats are why you are seeing ramps closing. So if you want to see your local ramp closed fly at er
I guess the guys that have moorage don't have this as an issue then correct?

Well I guess that's a moral issue.....personally I think it's ******** to just ignore every public health officers direction about distancing just so you can spend some time fishing with a bud. I have a real good fishing buddy outside of my family who I miss fishing with, he knows who he is, but I'm not about to go jump in his new boat, as much as I would like to check out his new ride, because it's just not the right thing to do at the moment.

Not sure if that answers your question but that is my 2 cents,

Darin

In normal times the usual people I fish with are well experienced. They are good company, bring their own tackle and always help with clean-up and expenses. It makes the day much more enjoyable than fishing alone. On the rare days when I take out someone inexperienced, I change my expectations and so I'm not disappointed that most of my efforts are directed to guiding them and not fishing myself. It's still fun to get out on the water and share the thrill of catching fish.

The people I have gone out with have to commit almost a week of their holiday time. Two travel days, two fishing days, extra day or two for inclement weather. None of them have been experienced including me (I learned from a few books and videos then trial and error).

I tend to turn into a bit of a bear when stuff goes sideways and I have people on board with NO inclination to lend a hand, learn the down riggers, use the hand pump, untangle a crab line, etc.

It doesn't help that my old boat is/was a POS (new motor though) and caused some anxiety in any water close to a whitecap. Next boat will hopefully be easy to fish solo (or wife).

Well I guess that's a moral issue.....personally I think it's ******** to just ignore every public health officers direction about distancing just so you can spend some time fishing with a bud. I have a real good fishing buddy outside of my family who I miss fishing with, he knows who he is, but I'm not about to go jump in his new boat, as much as I would like to check out his new ride, because it's just not the right thing to do at the moment.

Not sure if that answers your question but that is my 2 cents,

Darin
Makes so much sense.......We will be back to those days of hanging with our buddies some day but just not right now

I’m at the point where I like to go solo or just me and my kids. I find it such a hassle to bring people.
I have one buddy who always bugs me to bring him out. Then he’s 1/2 late to my house...I’ve been up since 3:45 having coffee, breaky, loading the boat. Then needs to stop at A&W on the way Then tells me “Oh I invited another buddy to come with us. We got to go pick him up”
We finally get on the water 2 hours after first light. Then they are eating munchies smoking weed. Not paying attention to the sounder while I’m in the back trying to fish. I could go on and on....
End of the day we are in my front yard dividing up the catch, as soon as whatever little bit of fish we caught is in there hands they have to rush off and I’m left with 2 hour job cleaning/flushing/ putting away the boat.
If I go solo I can leave when I want. I don’t have to share my catch. Plus I find it really exciting to play and net a salmon all by yourself.

Just couldn't imagine having a fishing "Friend", or any kind of friend like that.
Not a real fisherman that can't get up, in time agreed upon.
You must be a kind and patient fellow, unlike myself. lol

Just couldn't imagine having a fishing "Friend", or any kind of friend like that.
Not a real fisherman that can't get up, in time agreed upon.
You must be a kind and patient fellow, unlike myself. lol
Yes I’m definitely too patient sometimes’. But it’s starting to wear thin. Learning that people will treat you how you let them treat you.
My kids are getting to an age where I can bring them out for a few hours or half a day and they love it’. They are my new fishing buddies!
And my wife gets some much needed alone time when I bring the kids out so I never get any trouble for going....if I go out with buddies and leave her with the kids all day it’s a different story lol.

I might be a asshole, but if you are late don’t bother coming because I’m gone. I don’t mind fishing by myself. I’m not your guide. I don’t mind taking newbies if you are willing to learn. I don’t drink on the boat, but if you want to have a beer or two that’s fine just don’t get drunk. I go fishing to get away from all the ******** don’t need more ******** on the boat. Unfortunately my best fishing buddies live in Alberta and only fish once or twice a year with them.

Last edited:
I’m at the point where I like to go solo or just me and my kids. I find it such a hassle to bring people.
I have one buddy who always bugs me to bring him out. Then he’s 1/2 late to my house...I’ve been up since 3:45 having coffee, breaky, loading the boat. Then needs to stop at A&W on the way Then tells me “Oh I invited another buddy to come with us. We got to go pick him up”
We finally get on the water 2 hours after first light. Then they are eating munchies smoking weed. Not paying attention to the sounder while I’m in the back trying to fish. I could go on and on....
End of the day we are in my front yard dividing up the catch, as soon as whatever little bit of fish we caught is in there hands they have to rush off and I’m left with 2 hour job cleaning/flushing/ putting away the boat.
If I go solo I can leave when I want. I don’t have to share my catch. Plus I find it really exciting to play and net a salmon all by yourself.
One trip like that and it's their last with me

Back