White vs. Red

sir-vivor

I usually dont keep or can many white Chinook but with the limited Chinook Frasery Fisher at the South Arm and Cancelled trips due to Covid, all I caught was White Chinook this fall. So I have been canning it up. I cant say I really like it compared to Red Chinook.
What do u guys think ?

I usually dont keep or can many white Chinook but with the limited Chinook Frasery Fisher at the South Arm and Cancelled trips due to Covid, all I caught was White Chinook this fall. So I have been canning it up. I cant say I really like it compared to Red Chinook.
What do u guys think ?

ypu don’t like whites or you don’t like canned whites?

What do u guys think ?
The whites I catch in Victoria in the winter or earlier in the summer are some of my favorite eating springs. The late season white springs (late August/September) I find best smoked and most of my friends prefer them to reds when smoked. It has been many years since I canned any white springs. I found that they tasted o.k. but prefer the color (and taste?) of a nice dark red spring. This may just be a color preference for me.

...Rob

I canned a big stinky white once. Never again.

No I definitely didn't. Maybe I should have. But I also found it just had less "salmon" flavor. It wasn't inedible it just didn't hold a candle to the sockeye I had done.

I have not canned any whites just pinks coho and sockeye and red/pink/orange chinooks and they all turned out well. For the pinks o added a bit of oil but for sockeye and chinook I never added anything.

the whites are really fatty so not sure how they would can. I like them pan fried really forgiving with all the fat they have.

I have not canned any whites just pinks coho and sockeye and red/pink/orange chinooks and they all turned out well. For the pinks o added a bit of oil but for sockeye and chinook I never added anything.

the whites are really fatty so not sure how they would can. I like them pan fried really forgiving with all the fat they have.
I should add that I do really like winter whites as well. Marbled, whatever. They're all good. It's just the late season Harrison? whites that I fond have that smell to them. Like the red headed step child of springs.

early/mid summer whites far from their Natal rivers are incomparable to terminal fishery whites ( fraser mouth , cap) . some of the best eating chinook ive ever had where the big whiteys we used to get off the southwest corner out of ukee mid summer .

I send my white springs to St Jeans cannery and get them candy smoked and packaged into ½ lb packages. I do agree that the larger summer run white springs smell more and taste more fishy due to the large amount of oil in them. Winter white springs have very little smell and taste allot better.

One thing I like about summer white springs is they put up a better fight.

I canned a big stinky white once. Never again.
Have to agree with ya RC, the first can of the new batch of Harrison Whites , is not what I expected . I canned them all up so looks like I won't be able to smoke or BBQ until next year, BUT , will never can a white up again (been caning for over 30 years so I know that wasn't this issue and they were only caught in Sept and Oct so couldn't be old or freezer burnt so its got to be what Harrison whites are ).

If you do think you want to can a white, maybe just do one or two jars ...... and thats a waste of time IMHO

I send my white springs to St Jeans cannery and get them candy smoked and packaged into ½ lb packages. I do agree that the larger summer run white springs smell more and taste more fishy due to the large amount of oil in them. Winter white springs have very little smell and taste allot better.

One thing I like about summer white springs is they put up a better fight.
Yes !!! One hell of a fight those Harrisons ! Best fighters entering the S Arm if ya ask me !

If we can whites , we put just a smidge of smoked white/ red/ or marbled , in the jar. Delish on crackers mix or not with cream cheese / plain yogurt n lemon juice / turmeric pepper.

I'm thinkin in Sept and Oct , if I'm fishing S Arm and I get into the 25+ , there Harrisons so its gonna be a catch and release from now on

Back