White Lake

Chironomids, bloodworms, mayfly nymphs, damsels, dragons, leeches. It's a great lake to fish because you have to watch and read the conditiions to be successful. What is working in one part may not be elsewhere. I still would rather hunt the shallows than stare at an indicator all day. They spook easy in there, but it's rewarding to fool the odd one.

Fishing White Lake August 10-17 2014

Does anyone know how White Lake near Salmon Arm is producing? And on what?

I'm fairly new to fishing - my son and I cast from the docks at the local lakes in/near Victoria - 1, 2 pound trout.
When going to White Lake (near Salmon Arm) I will be renting a small boat and trolling/mooching. I think I will stick to the shoals, but was wondering what to use for this type of trout fishing?
Also, is a certain part of the lake better than others for trout?

Thanks.

in August, I would focus my energies around drop-offs and the thermocline (30+ feet)

If you aren't fly-fishing, I think tomic/lyman plugs are popular, but I'd check at the fishing store in Salmon Arm. You will see some fish on the shoals in morn/eve, but during the day they will be deep. A downrigger or leadcore/sinking line might be more important than any lure if it's hot.

If you bottom fish from docks, dropping powerbait right on the deep edge of the marl might be effective; the fish will cruise up through the deep weeds looking for food during the day and a static presentation is deadly

Thanks for the tips. We had a great time on the lake with rainbows found at the far end (water entrance) of the lake. We did powerbait with a green powerchunk - seemed to work well (right off the bottom - 8 foot leader).
Also dropped a rod in Shuswap a few times - mainly bull trout, but the odd rainbow in between. (on Shuswap it was orange garlic powerbait)
Thanks again.

Back