Which is the best Spring Salmon rod?

Sea Ranger

I was out fishing last week with my 10 1/2 foot Fenwick Salmon rod. Was bringing a 15 lb spring to the boat, brought my rod tip up and went to pull the fish a bit closer to be netted when a mighty crack rang out and my rod broke into 3 pieces. I managed to get the fish in the boat and had a spare rod so the day still went well but my question is.... What rods do you think are the best rods for 20+ lb springs. My Fenwick was a long and thin rod maybe too thin for me. So what rod should I buy.... any help helps.... Thanks Steve.

I really like the Trophy XL, and have played nearly countless fish on it over the last 5 seasons, but last time out, I had a fish on, and the rod broke. I will be replacing with a new Trophy XL.

Fenwick hmx 1265 is the best deal going right now. They've been discontinued and capital iron still has some for $99. Plenty strong and the hardened steel guides not plastic. I have the trophy too, prefer fenwick.

All rods can snap at any time if they get knocked around and get a small chip or crack. Put some weight on it and snap! Rod storage and care when loading is more of a factor than which brand you buy, given similar blank ratings.

I have heard great things about the Trophy XL. My best rod is a 10'6" Protac Highwater Series casting rod that I bought for bar fishing the Skeena and now it works great with my ABU for trolling. I think it uses the same blank as a the Fenwicks that were being sold at the time. It can handle throwing heavy lead for spin and glows or bringing in the halibut when needed. Trophy XL is about the same. Fine tipped rods break sooner, so go a bit heavier if you want durability. Here's some good combos for whatever salmon the river and ocean provide:
Trophy XL 10'6" rod rated 20LB to 30LB & Ambassador 7000C3 spooled up with Big Game 30LB $229.99
Trophy XL 10'6" rod rated 15LB to 25LB & Ambassador 6500C3 spooled up with Big Game 25LB $209.99

The best spring rod is the one with a spring on it.....

Fenwick hmx 1265 is the best deal going right now. They've been discontinued and capital iron still has some for $99. Plenty strong and the hardened steel guides not plastic. I have the trophy too, prefer fenwick.

Those are great rods, alright. I have several. I have sure liked my Lamiglas 4 power rods.......... quite durable and good bang for the buck. About $ 120 each.

Personally i havn't had much luck with Trophy XL rods but my gear gets used a lot - and hard and they couldn't last a full season. I'm finishing my 2nd on these Lamis

my 2 cents worth

I run shimano convergence and absolutely love them, they also have a lifetime guarantee!

I have several Shimano Techniums and in fact I prefer them to a Sage Mooching rod I have, both have lifetime warranties.

SS

I just use Shimano TDR's......( 9ft...Aeroglass.....#1903)

Been using these same two rods for 11 years....repaced all the eyelets just once on both rods.....

Never lost a fish due to rod.......never had a break......

Ill probably use them for another 11 years.....

My wife's accidentally sat on them about 25 times in the boat....

I bought 2 trophy xl (10 6's, light) rods 3 years ago and loved them. Had a buddy grab the tip and break it off in his hand (trying to grab the line to put in the clip...) and randomly broke the 2nd one just last week bumping the line out of the clip hooked up with a pink believe it or not... Sounded like a gunshot but still boated the pink.

Ive fought lots and lots of fish on these rods for the past 3 years and loved them, but am going to switch to the shimano convergences. Their half the price and I think all the rod that the xls are.

Yak

If you don't bother to take really gentle care of your equipment, go with a couple of Ugly Stiks. Very durable for the price but the butt ends are too thick for my liking, and no 'gay jokes' please.

I run 10,6 convergence rods myself, they're great for me. But that said I've never used anything super high end for fishing. I may get one of those HMX rods to see how it compares.

My favorite fly rod is a fenwick HMX.

I have been using my fenwick hmx 10'6", medium for several seasons now and I would not trade it. Lots of good fish caught on it. Love the action of this rod. Seems to hold up for me.

I have one of the discontinued lighter HMX rods and I have a newer HMX from this year which is a bit heavier and love them both...

Have used a Hardy mooching rod for 30 years,love it, no problems.Think it's a 10'6"

Back