Which convergence rod model?

Apple

Looking to buy a downrigger rod and reel. Sounds like the Convergence/4000GT is a common place to start. I was at a local retailer and asked which model of convergence for downrigger fishing for salmon in local Vancouver waters. His reply was that it didn't matter which version, they are all the same except guide ring location and he grabbed me the "casting" version. Is he correct, or should I look to exchange for the mooching? version? It's the 10'6" 12-25lb line med/heavy with a 3/4oz - 2oz lure rating that he sold me.

Agree with Scott, the trigger will just be a pain in the butt

Thanks for the input. I didn't even notice the trigger but i gave it a test and can see how it may get in the way. I will take it back and hopefully they won't have an issue exchanging it.

That is poor customer service on their part in the first place in my opinion... They should never have let you leave the store with that rod in the first place. What shop ?

i use my river rods, with mooching reels and have not found the trigger to be a problem, but i do use folbe rod holders and they have a slot in them for the trigger

Definitely the best way to share opinions with customers is to simply offer input related to the various styles and take the time to explain which is used for what, or how. Convergence rods are probably one of the more popular ranges which can be used for both salt and freshwater applications. For instance a baitcasting configuration is meant to be used with the reel on top side of the blank, trigger down...it can be used for both downrigging and river fishing with level wind style reels. A mooching configuration can be used with a mooching single action reel while downrigger and also with a centerpin float reel for river fishing. Perhaps the clerk developed a form of miscommunication with his customer. Irregardless, it is the clerks job to help outfit the consumer correctly after all the questions have been qualified with the consumer as to how the set up is to be used.

Excellent comments.

are you at the shop all this week

Thanks again for the input and advice. It is frustrating as I bought the reel at the same time so he knew my exact intentions. I will try to exchange it for the mooching version and hopefully they won't have issue accomidating. Next issue will be finding the time to get back out there and try the exchange all the while thinking that i should be on the water fishing.

Back