Where to find Cutthroat in Cowichan Lake

thanks for the advice....do you pull the pin and flatline all the time when your targeting the cutties in cowichan? I have never pulled the pins in my plugs before

Yes, I do pull the pins and flatline all the time. Lots of guys use downwriggers and are very successful, but for trout? Not my game. I like to pull the pins because I fish so tight to shore and cover debris where the biguns are there is a lot of snag-ups. When you are snagged and can't get your hook free simply snap your line and your $10-$12 plug floats to the surface pick it up and tie on a new hook your fishin with your lucky plug that has ation like no other! When you are playing a fish the plug simply drifts up and down the line leaving the battle for you the fish and the hook. Tomic does not recomend pulling pins because there is a slight chance of causing a leak, but I have never had a leaker. If you do decide to pull some pins be sure to use the back hole for best action.

ok thanks! one last question how much line do you let out when your flatlining and do you use the tubby or regular plugs as i know tubbys you get more action from trolling slower

I cast as far as I can and then let a bunch more line out, I guess probably 75-100 feet back. I havent tried tubbys yet, I will one day. I do find cutties to like a pretty fast troll, change up the speed once in a while can trigger hits, and they often hit when the boat is making a turn. Good luck, I'm hitting the lake monday hopefully something to report.

sounds good good luck im going to go give the nanaimo lakes a try this weekend although they hold substantially smaller cutties

I used to fish the lake alot and found a black/silver countdown rapalla outfished the tomics at times. Lots of big trout, caught a few rainbows over 8 lbs ,there was one caught over 14 lbs, were all probally steelhead. Steelhead , coho , and springs used to spawn in some of the tribs, hopefully still do!

sounds good good luck im going to go give the nanaimo lakes a try this weekend although they hold substantially smaller cutties
Sorry but I must disagree with that statement. There are lots of larger cuttys in Nanaimo Lake chain. I commonly catch 3 lbs+ and 4-5 lbs are nice, 6+ very nice. What I do notice is anglers fishing here, gear up for smaller fish. Just remember, cutty's are piscavors when they get bigger. They aren't interested in little bug like patterns. (think tomic plugs!!!!)
fish.jpg

what kinda plugs and what size of plugs are you running in the nanaiom lakes?
3 to 4 inch tomics, rainbow trout pattern work well. I lost my favorite that I can't find to replace, I believe it was painted to look like a brook trout, however it looked very baby cutthroat to me :)

when are the best times for cutties march through to may?

I start fishing cutties in Cowichan in late October and fish till April. I find the most productive time is late November to the end of January. You can get them any time, but that is when I have had the best success fishing plugs shallow.

Back