Where to catch Dogfish in Vancouver?

I grab them with the gaff in one hand and a machete in the other. The head works incredibly well as bait to get an even bigger one. Rinse and repeat.

Me and my buddies, when we were teens, used to fish for them on summer nights with hand lines off the beach at the evening high tide. A piece of a salmon trim or herring for bait worked well.
Be mindful of the spine on the back. I grab them by the tail with my thumb and index finger. They’re super easy to grip as mentioned. That way they can’t get you with the poisonous spine.
Where are some good locations to get them and what kind of rig should i use?

Sorry, I missed that part. This was in Qualicum Beach I’m talking about. It was a gently sloping beach with a sandy bottom. We’d catch them on the evening high tide as I mentioned. I’d think if you found a place like that around your area you’d likely have some success.

You need to get on a boat and go halibut fishing. You’ll get your fill of catching them. Especially once the water warms a little!
Otherwise I’ve seen videos of kids catching them off docks. Use bait. And see what comes up.

Try Jericho Pier on high tide in July & August with any kind of fish bait on a wire leader. If they are there you wont have to wait long. If nothing, try a week later. They come into the shallows in summer to give birth to their live pups. But as mentioned above, if you are keeping some to eat the bigger ones are really old and have lots of mercury. Don't start eating them every day or you will have issues.

yeah im bored with nothing much open. so im gonna be trying for some dog fish and make some fish and chips. we are just spoilt out here because we have access to lots of fish.
so most people think they are a nuisance or trash fish but other countries thats where fish and chips come from. cant wait to try it

yeah im bored with nothing much open. so im gonna be trying for some dog fish and make some fish and chips. we are just spoilt out here because we have access to lots of fish.
So most people think sharks are a nuisance or trash fish but other countries thats where fish and chips come from. cant wait to try it
I am bored aswell but many of sog'ers have been born and rised here feast or famin.To spoil is to change cariture and proprtys of one own.I would be spoiled if i went to flat lands and expiriance winter there .so you are right we may have acess to fish without a monthly comsumtion due to contaminate buld up in fish .dose not mean you should try for more fish in bc becuase you can ,better yourself as a sportsman.

Where to catch Dog fish you ask? In the F*&%#ing water, FFS! I cant count how many times I was trolling for salmon and instead caught this "delicacy" instead... As mentioned above, troll slower than you would for salmon, to catch dog fish. In my dinghy with a dozen Dungeness crab snapping at my feet (shoe-less, after pulling the traps, which was normal back in the 1980's, but maybe wasn't the smartest thing to be doing), but, I figured while I was "out", I might as well "troll" for some salmon by rowing my dinghy. Yes, I caught a nice 5 lb Coho, but, I also caught one of my biggest MFDE (mother f*&$-ing dogfish ever). I had trouble even pulling this sucker beside my row-boat., I was scared. I was like 13 years old, but, I had caught enough dogfish to know to stay way from their tail spike, but this sucker was either as small shark, or a big dogfish - more than 4 feet long. What should a 13-year-old face-to-face with a BHDF do?? I stabbed it in the head several times while it was still on the hook. That didn't kill it - dogfish are impossible to kill - like sharks. Finally, after getting this "beauty" into my dinghy, stabbing it through the skull several times, and releasing it into the water , only to watch it swim slowly away, was some relief that I would rest easy tonight - this would NOT be the day that this MFDF take over this Earth! BTW - we never, ever, thought about possibly eating dog fish!

This past year, while fishing for suspended chinook (60-80 feet of water over 180 feet) I had a couple dogfish hit my spoon--one stole my favorite $15 custom spoon!!
Bummer to take time to deal with the pests. They were really thick around MA13 in Puget Sound, and at Point defiance. They come into the shallows (<200 feet) around the first of July down here. The local water around my home base----(Vashon Island) is up to 600 feet deep, I imagine they snooze away the winter in the cold dark!

Where to catch Dog fish you ask? In the F*&%#ing water, FFS! I cant count how many times I was trolling for salmon and instead caught this "delicacy" instead... As mentioned above, troll slower than you would for salmon, to catch dog fish. In my dinghy with a dozen Dungeness crab snapping at my feet (shoe-less, after pulling the traps, which was normal back in the 1980's, but maybe wasn't the smartest thing to be doing), but, I figured while I was "out", I might as well "troll" for some salmon by rowing my dinghy. Yes, I caught a nice 5 lb Coho, but, I also caught one of my biggest MFDE (mother f*&$-ing dogfish ever). I had trouble even pulling this sucker beside my row-boat., I was scared. I was like 13 years old, but, I had caught enough dogfish to know to stay way from their tail spike, but this sucker was either as small shark, or a big dogfish - more than 4 feet long. What should a 13-year-old face-to-face with a BHDF do?? I stabbed it in the head several times while it was still on the hook. That didn't kill it - dogfish are impossible to kill - like sharks. Finally, after getting this "beauty" into my dinghy, stabbing it through the skull several times, and releasing it into the water , only to watch it swim slowly away, was some relief that I would rest easy tonight - this would NOT be the day that this MFDF take over this Earth! BTW - we never, ever, thought about possibly eating dog fish!

why would you post this

Indeed---more ammo for the PETA dingbats. We've all done stupid things, but we mostly keep it under our hat.

Back