Where to book a beginning of August fishing trip 16ft. Boat?

Kinetic

As the title states, I'd like to hit one destination fishing spot on the island this year near the beginning of August.
I'll be trailering my 16ft Double Eagle up from Victoria so things I'd like are: decent road, clean accommodations, parking for truck and trailer, great fishing, some sheltered fishing if the weather is snotty.
Where would you go?
I was thinking possibly Port Hardy but open to suggestions.
Thanks

Last edited:
As the title states, I'd like to hit one destination fishing spot on the island this year near the beginning of August.
I'll be trailering my 26ft Double Eagle up from Victoria so things I'd like are: decent road, clean accommodations, parking for truck and trailer, great fishing, some sheltered fishing if the weather is snotty.
Where would you go?
I was thinking possibly Port Hardy but open to suggestions.
Thanks

We have had some of our best fishing off Sooke beginning Aug. 1
Port Renfrew can be hot early in Aug.
Winter Harbor is generally hot at that time.
here is where I would go if I really had to leave Victoria-Sooke
http://www.winterharbourlodge.ca/fishing-charters/lodging/rv-sites/122-Lodging
But....pick your spot and take your chances

Last edited:
I would vouch for Ukee or Port Hardy, Ukee is nice because you have so many inshore options if its rough and if its nice amphitrite bank isn't far. Port Hardy is awesome too and lots of good spots just at the mouth of the harbour.

Poet Nook or Bamfield would be great for a small boat. Once you are there you don't have to go far to fish.
I tow my 21' boat up from Victoria and launch at China Creek - you can fuel up there (rather than towing a boat with a full tank). If you don't mind logging roads, you can tow a light boat all the way up to Poet Nook or Bamfield. If you are running up the inlet in a small boat, its best to head up early (before 10 a.m. is best) before the wind picks up at Namint.
Hope this helps
Stosh

Last edited:
If descent road means paved, Bamfield would be my last choice. Anything beyond Gold River would be my second to last choice. As for shelter, bad weather TENDS to come from the west/northwest that time of year on WCVI. Your timing is a tad bit early for the Robertson Creek hatchery run Chinook. I know a guy who guided in Barkley Sound for years; some years the fish prefer the Ucluelet side, some years the Bamfield side. Ucluelet has a paved road & great fish ice can be had at the fish plants in town. I am sure Bamfield has it's pluses; Iv'e only been there once (the road; Stosh launches at China creek for good reason).

Thanks everyone for the suggestions.
I've booked Port Hardy for 4 days in early August.
The count down begins!

Back