Where Capilano Chinook are caught

wildmanyeah

Crew Member
saw this posted on social media, Where Cap chinook are caught, very interesting.

upload_2019-3-24_11-45-44.png

Would this be a perfect candidate for hatchery only retention, provided there is a good portion clipped? Just thinking how a congested area to stay open yet conserve some Chinook

Would this be a perfect candidate for hatchery only retention, provided there is a good portion clipped? Just thinking how a congested area to stay open yet conserve some Chinook

The cap fishery area 28 will be open for retention of unmarked fish. However the cap fishery is late fall fishery and the restriction are lifted by then.

The mark rate of cap is low as well, should be marking all cap fish

Time to increase production on the Cap and get the Seymour absolutely bumping as well!

Increasing Capilano production is likely to do little to increase returns. The Capilano is severely restricted on decent rearing habitat, the entire estuary is armoured with breakwaters on all sides, there is little vegetation and no wetlands. Water flows are minimal during dry times (Look at it right now, its just a creek) and experiences deluges during wet times once the reservoir fills up. It has runoff from heavily developed areas and the toxins that go with it. The river bed itself is mostly large rocks as gravel flow is stopped by the dam. Its a wonder the Capilano is able to get the returns it does now. If there is more money for enhancement available I'm sure it could be better spent than on the Cap.

Increasing Capilano production is likely to do little to increase returns. The Capilano is severely restricted on decent rearing habitat, the entire estuary is armoured with breakwaters on all sides, there is little vegetation and no wetlands. Water flows are minimal during dry times (Look at it right now, its just a creek) and experiences deluges during wet times once the reservoir fills up. It has runoff from heavily developed areas and the toxins that go with it. The river bed itself is mostly large rocks as gravel flow is stopped by the dam. Its a wonder the Capilano is able to get the returns it does now. If there is more money for enhancement available I'm sure it could be better spent than on the Cap.

Guess it needs a bigger net pen lol

If the Cap is maxed out, then it does seem like focusing on enhancing the Seymour and other creeks/rivers up the Indian Arm would be a good alternative. Seems like their migration patterns would be similar to that of the Cap. Hopefully the Squamish will continue to improve too. Nice to see a migration pattern lean to the North rather than the South (provides opportunities all the way down the SOG). Is there a similar migration pattern for fish from the Tenderfoot hatchery on the Squamish?

Harrison white springs migrate directly to the ocean after hatching. I am very familiar with the Capilano, maybe we should be looking at other ocean going Chinook stocks as well to provide Spring Chinook as well.
I know they had very dismal results with the qualicum Chinook.

Bigger net pens within the hatchery? The is an almost completely hatchery system and we should be maximizing every opportunity we can with this urban shithole.

I would be all for putting more enhancement onto the Seymour as well as the Indian.

None of the North Shore rivers and streams were ever "chinook "rivers. All of the chinook enhancement there is solely for the fishery with no or very limited natural spawning and even less "natural" production. These streams were never chinook streams for a reason.
As for Squamish fish, my notes say that they were caught in Georgia Straight fishery as both young fish ( leaving the strait ) and as older fish on the return to the Squamish as mature fish. They were also a significant catch on the Central coast as well as South west Alaska.

Back